ID:1680223

If anyone hasn't heard yet, Mojang is being bought by Microsoft. You can read the official post on the Mojang website here: https://mojang.com/2014/09/ yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

Also, Notch gave his personal thoughts on this on his blog which you can read here: http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/
Holy crap! 2.5 BILLION dollars... Wow.
why would they buy a studio thats basically a one trick pony ? i don't see any good coming from this super deluxe minecraft anyone ?
In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:
why would they buy a studio thats basically a one trick pony ? i don't see any good coming from this super deluxe minecraft anyone ?

I can definitely imagine some type of cash flow by adding micro-transactions into the game, because sperglords are always great sources of income.

They also could have bought it to prevent it from going open-source, which apparently was the plan when sales halted and the games popularity waned.

Shit, might as well just have it for acquisitions sake and gut the useful developers.
This is basically Notch's Phil Fish moment. That's why he sold it.

He can't deal with people saying mean things to him, so he's selling Minecraft so that he won't be the focus of attention anymore.

These developers need to grow a pair, honestly. I remember in middle school, we used to talk so much crap about each other. Relentlessly. One time we had a new student join our class, who had big eyes and pointy ears, and like half the class was calling him "alien boy" and "ET" ( and those were the NICEST remarks that were made, I'm not even going to explain what they said about his penis ) from the moment he got into the class to the moment we left for school that day. But none of us stopped coming to school. None of us killed ourselves. None of us brought a gun to school and shot up the place. We scolded each other nonstop but at the end of the day, we knew how to just deal with it.

But then you have these 35 year old men who see a couple mean tweets or an angry Reddit post, and they just have a nervous breakdown. Like really? I've been using the internet since 2001-ish and I can't recall a single moment where I gave two damns about what some random person across the internet thought of me. And if I just had Microsoft purchase my game for $2.5 billion? Every time someone sent me a "mean tweet" I would upload a picture to Instagram in which I'm surrounded by half-naked groupies and bottles of champagne, with both middle fingers in the air. Or maybe I would make a Vine video where I'm burning rubber in my 2015 Lamborghini Aventador.

Just to make the haters pull out the 2 or 3 strands of hair they had left.
Unfortunately ET, Notch just wants to be a programmer who can have opinions and post them on Twitter. When are seen as a "symbol" as Notch puts it, that you never intended or wanted to be it gets really f*cking (I figure I'd be modded with out that) to post your opinions online. Phil Fish got blown the f*ck out when he decided to have opinions.

In a perfect world we can all shitpost as much as we want while being the CEO of whatthef*ckeverfortune100company, without those posts and opinions potentially ruining your client base and business... but until we can have a real separate of people not liking your opinion and people not liking your business, you cash the f*ck out and never look back. The pros? You get bling bling cash money AND you can go back to shitposting. The cons? Not a damn thing.

For now we'll deal with not liking your business because we don't like your opinion.
Well that's kinda what comes along with fame and fortune. I don't know why people sign up for this life and expect to be treated any differently than the other hundreds of celebrities.

Was Notch expecting to be an exception to the rule? Was he expecting NOT to be held to a higher moral standard? Did he expect NOT to have envious people harassing him? He made like, the most successful indie game of all time, and he was expecting success from the beginning, otherwise he would've never told his friend to quit his job and come risk everything on his indie game idea.

Its cute that he wants opinions but you don't really get to have opinions when you're rich and famous unless you have balls. People like Floyd Mayweather, for example, handle haters pretty well to an extent. That's why he's generally seen as a douchebag. Which, it's not that he's a total douchebag, it's just that he gets so many haters ( half of which are probably just racist and mad that a black man is undefeated after 46 fights ), he gets so many opportunities to fire shots back at all the people who try to insult him, and he takes those opportunities. Whereas a person like Notch is not going to fire shots back - he's going to take a more passive aggressive approach, or just curl up in the fetal position in a dark closet somewhere and cry about it.

Besides, even before the Microsoft deal, he had enough money to stop giving a damn about people's opinions. He wasn't going to lose millions over a EULA tweet. Like I said, we need more middle fingers and less tears. From my middle school experiences I mentioned earlier, I've learned that the easiest people to pick on are those who don't fight back. If you want an opinion, you have to state your opinion and not care about someone calling you stupid after what you just said, rather than whining about how life is unfair because someone dislikes the way you think.
I want Tom to have some pretty radical opinions and become a twitter edgemaster, then maybe we can hit our fictitious quota of xXDarkxSephirothXx types of keys.
Tom is actually a good example of what I meant. Remember back some years ago when you could say pretty much anything about Tom and Dream Maker and Tom wouldn't react to it.

But then one day he just went Super Saiyan 3 and started banning people for insulting his work, most notably Forum_account? It was pretty entertaining to watch. More importantly, it showed just how easily people can be dealt with if you just... defend yourself. Now imagine where BYOND would be if after Forum_account's rants, Tom just said "screw it, I can't take it anymore, Lummox is now the new owner of BYOND, I'M DONE, YOU ALL CAN GO TO HELL".

WOULD WE BE SITTING HERE CHATTING ABOUT NOTCH RIGHT NOW?
Off topic, but what happened with Tom / F_A? Link to sauce?
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Off topic, but what happened with Tom / F_A? Link to sauce?

I've always wondered what happened to Forum_account. I never got the inside details, just heard he got banned. :(
This is merely one of the instances where Tom and Forum bumped heads.

http://www.byond.com/members/ Iobject?command=view_post&post=818347&page=8&hla=Forumaccoun t#comment2390338

Just scroll up and down, and go back and forth between the last few pages for the entire battle.

This pretty much sums up Tom's feelings on FA.

Tom wrote:
Honestly, Toadfish, I don't know if it is by design or not, but when FA participates in a thread, he takes a contrarian viewpoint that only leads to a lot of unpleasant bickering, frequently leading to a digression that makes a relatively simple request seem much more involved or problematic. There's another thread going on right now where he's doing the same thing. The intent may not be malicious, but the result is.
That's a shame. He was a talented guy.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
That's a shame. He was a talented guy.

BUT HE WAS TROLLINNNNNNNNNNNNN

In response to EmpirezTeam
Why are you still not Jesus, ET?