ID:169081

Hi, I'm new to BYOND, and I would just like some help on how to go about making the say verb always active, but still being able to use the other verbs. Thanks.
The say verb should continue to remain in your verb panel with the rest of them, or is that not what you mean?

You could set client's command_text to "say ", if that's what you're looking for.

Try this:
client/command_text = "say "

Hiead
In response to Hiead
I meant like, say is always on, right? like you helped me with, but you can still type in other verbs and they'll work normally.
In response to Seraphrevan
You can always delete the "say " from the command line and then type in the next verb

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Yeah, you could, but I don't want player having to go through that everytime they want to do something else.
Seraphrevan wrote:
Yeah, you could, but I don't want player having to go through that everytime they want to do something else.

So how would you prefer it work? I'll analyze your concept to think of a way to accomplish it.(I normally don't use so many big words together)

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hmmm. How would I describe it? Like, the player can say things without typing or clicking "say" first, but they can also type in other verbs to use them.
The only problem with that is, how would distinguish what their saying from verbs? I suggest using / at the start of the line. For example:
Hello!
That would say "Hello!", when this would use the verb attack:
/Attack

Thats how it's done in starcraft anyways =p
Seraphrevan wrote:
Hmmm. How would I describe it? Like, the player can say things without typing or clicking "say" first, but they can also type in other verbs to use them.
Maybe something like
mob
verb
interpreter(msg as text)
set hidden = 1
if(msg == "_flip") // When the player types in "_flip", the player's flip verb is activated
src.flip()
else if(msg == "_smile") // The underscore was just a way I thought up to distinguish somebody wanting to perform smile from somebody wanting to say it
src.smile()
else if(msg == "_look")
src.look()
else // If the text does not activate a verb, default to say
src.say(msg)
client
command_text = "interpreter "

I'm not sure how functional that would be, really, I just thought it up

Hiead
In response to DarkCampainger
You know, I just made a post(it probably woulda been before yours if it didn't take so long to type), and I used the underscore. For some reason I didn't think of backslash

Hiead
In response to Hiead
You must not play StarCraft =p
In response to Hiead
I think the client.command_prompt() would be better for that. =p
In response to DarkCampainger
Nope, don't even know what it is, really

Hiead
In response to Ol' Yeller
Ol' Yeller wrote:
I think the client.command_prompt() would be better for that. =p

Doesn't command_prompt just display text over the command line?

Hiead
In response to Hiead
I think that's the proc name, I'm probably wrong though.
Gah, I don't know how to explain it, but if something's not a verb and it gets typed into the command line, it'll go through that proc as the first arg.
Well I've never heard of the command_prompt proc. I know it's a variable, but in proc form I can't even find it in either DM's built-in reference or the site's DM Reference.

Are you thinking of client.Command()? I think I saw that in one of Nadrew's demos or libraries or something, although I can't remember what it did and I think I recall him saying it was a hidden proc.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Yeah, it's client.command...I think. =p
It is a hidden proc, I know that for sure. I also know what it does, just not its name.
In response to Hiead
Thanks, I combined all of your guys' methods and got a really effective system going!
Ol' Yeller wrote:
Yeah, it's client.command...I think. =p
It is a hidden proc, I know that for sure. I also know what it does, just not its name.

I think client.Command was capitalized, btw.

Hiead
Seraphrevan wrote:
Thanks, I combined all of your guys' methods and got a really effective system going!

That's what we're here for!... as well as for getting into long over-drawn-out debates on coding practices.

Hiead
Page: 1 2