ID:171020

I have been a Byond player for oh, almost two years now... and Finally Ive decided to make a game, now.. all I need is a guided hand and maybe a teacher, well! If anyone wants to take this Newb into there arms and teach them the oh so mighty ways of Byond coding! id be much obliged, but untill Im so lucky to be taken in, Maybe some tips on where to start out? Some nice tutorials maybe? Nice.. Long tutorials.. that cover.. alot... Not just the ones that tell you how to make turf's and so on! I want the whole shi-bang! I know im over my head, but Ive got the time to do this, and I know I will.. soon! Ive already started Icons, and turfs, but now I just need help! anyway, Thanks for your time! and hey, thanks for just reading this! I hope to hear from.. a few of you, Thanks again!
Welcome! :) I think you'll find the Zilal tutorials (ZBT) an enjoyable experience. After finishing them you can keep going to Deadrons A Step Byond, which is really good as well. The tutorials link are to the left on this page. If you have any code questions, post them here and we'll try to help you. Good luck!

/Gazoot
In response to Gazoot
Thank you! I am reading it over right now, and so far, its helping, the tutorial was right.. about the new world thing, it did confuse me! oh, what a world..! hah! anyway, Thanks again! Maybe I should look in your direction more often ;)
In response to Lanthur
Think you should also read the Dm guide i am reading it and it helping me learn coding it will take awhile cause it real long but it worth the time you will learn about evrything about coding there.
In response to DaGoat787
And reading the DM reference is the equivilent of reading the English dictionary- it will improve your vocabulary by...lots.
In response to Kholint
I read the author's name as "Garthor", and got my hopes up.
In response to Lanthur
Lanthur wrote:
Thank you! I am reading it over right now, and so far, its helping, the tutorial was right.. about the new world thing, it did confuse me! oh, what a world..! hah! anyway, Thanks again! Maybe I should look in your direction more often ;)

No problem, glad I could help! Someone else recommended the DM Guide, that's a good idea too. And if you feel like consuming lots of information in a bit more random way, check out the Bwicki (http://bwicki.byond.com/), where the "FrequentlyAskedQuestions" page has a load of information gathered by numerous Byonders. Since it's a wiki, feel free to pitch in with more if you want!

/Gazoot
Well, IMO, the best way to learn is the excellent Blue Book. If you ever want to access it, just goto the Hub > Create Games > DM Guide.

Although I think that the Blue Book is the best one, Zilal's ZBT(Zilal's Beginner Tutorial) is one of the best out there, or so I've heard (By the time I'd heard of it, I knew too much about coding to make it worth my while). I know alot og great coders have gotten their start from that.

Personally, I prefer the Blue Book. It takes you alot further, teaching you about concepts ZBT doesn't touch. Of course, this is to be expected; ZBT isn't meant to take you that far. However, you can always start with ZBT and follow up on the Blue Book later