ID:171282

I was wondering if and how BYOND would work on a LAN. I was thinking about it, but with no way of testing it I thought I would ask. If there is no connection to the internet, just a LAN with say - 20 people on can they all access the game? How would they do it? I thought about byond://localhost but I sort-of doubt that would work =P Maybe it could be the network address? I'm at a loss. Thanks for the help in advance.
You'd just need to know the LAN ip address of the hosting computer. It would probably be something like 192.168.1.100.
In response to Jon88
This is a list of the IPs coming from my HUB. Here is an example:

• Lets say you have the game hosted on 192.168.0.103:4999 to access in on the other computer would be the same as connection to one over the internet. Just get on the computer and type in 192.168.0.103:4999 in the connection area.

I've tested this so it works.

-RR
A network is a network. The only difference between the internet and your home network is that the internet is a larger network with millions of people connected. That is why it is called the internet.
In response to Loduwijk
This I know. =P It doesn't exactly mean that connecting to it on an intranet is the same as connecting to it through the internet.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:
This I know. =P It doesn't exactly mean that connecting to it on an intranet is the same as connecting to it through the internet.

actually it does- the method to do so is the same, the only difference between a LAN and the internet is the class of ip addresses that are available. 192.168.n.n, 10.0.n.n, and i think 172.n.n.n are the three ranges that are reserved for LANS, the rest used by the internet.
In response to digitalmouse
209.94.n.n is used a lot, too.
In response to digitalmouse
BYOND, however, may try to access the internet. If that isn't possible, it can get annoyed. You can type .configure hub-address none to tell it not to bother. Type .configure hub-address to turn hub access back on again.