ID:1714147

Keywords: like, mode, rouge, text
(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Hey all, I am working on my rougelike game and am wondering, how do I Choose what character shows on the map for a tile. for example how do I choose a @ symbol to represent the player? or ~ for water? etc.

Also is there a way to choose that the game always start in text mode when played by default? In other words, how do I let dream maker know this is a text based game?

And finally I have seen it asked before but a long while ago, is it possible to choose a different font? I would like to use terminal rather than byond's standard text mode however as far as I know that isn't added yet, I'm just hoping I am miss informed.

Thanks in advance, you guys have always been a great help!

Bloodocean7.

Best response
1)

mob/mymob
text = "@"

turf/grass
text = "<font bgcolor=green> </font>"

2)

Just don't have any graphical resources included in the project.

3)

Nope, sorry.
In this case it may be better to just use ASCII tiles in a .dmi, if not having a custom font is a dealbreaker. Then if you want to apply color to it, just use atom.color.
thank you both these are great ideas and help, I wouldent mind adding in ASCII tiles later I dont think it damages the feel in anyway. Hopefully byond adds the feature for differnt fonts eventually so future devs can benefit. However I am sure its low priority due to the low demand.

Another question, when I add the text tiles to the map every one of them is just blank, I think this will make mapping pretty awful, is there a way to show the icons in the tree as font so I know what I'm mapping? or do I have to fly blind?

pic of what I mean:
http://postimg.org/image/7ts4h9jt9/
Options > icon type > text

However that won't show anything on the file tree, just the map itself.
well thats certainly better than nothing lol thanks a million :)