ID:1714233

Resolved
Child controls could include themselves, directly or indirectly, leading to circular references.
BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Google Chrome
Applies to:Webclient

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I was trying to load an old project ( that was relatively simple )

When I loaded it in the standard client it worked fine.

When I tried it on the web client it crashed. (displays a dead interface)

The most complex thing at this point was the interface - so I did some investigation and found out the child was crashing the web client. (The only thing added in code was minimal turf code and the map was that 1 turf)

However the child needs to have its left/top variable set for it to crash (I havent checked out anything else, a default child doesn't seem to kill the web client)

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1)Add a child to a custom interface and set top/left window ID
2)launch in web client and observe. (client freezes up, displays a dead interface)

Expected Results:
Game to run normally in web client regardless of child settings
Actual Results:
Game crashes if a child is in interface(child must have left/top window ID set)

When does the problem NOT occur?
If there are no children present in interface or the child has default settings
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Do not know.

Workarounds:
use a default child, delete child from interface

Notes:

I haven't tested this with other child settings. but I suspect some other settings might crash the web client if also set.
Please include the exact BYOND version you're using.

What was the child's name? I know there have been some issues with special characters in control names.

Also, if you open the JavaScript console in your web browser (default F12, look for a console tab), does it show any errors?
I haven't had any issues with child controls that contain other child controls. Translated skins are chock full of those cases (albeit indirectly through a pane control) and shouldn't have any problems.

If you can provide a copy of the project where this happens--I'd like the skin file as well--I can take a look. There's probably something special about this particular skin that's running up against the normal startup behavior.
I get the following when trying to play this in the webclient. I'll shoot the active source to BYOND support email(if requested), it's still rather cluttered and nasty looking. Needs cleaned out.
I'll take a look, though I really do need the skin. Please send me the .dmf. You can always send me links in the pager; they're easy for me to grab there.
Of course, sorry. here
Here is a link to the project used above: Project Source
Any luck? Progress of any kind is welcome.
I haven't forgotten about this, but it's been on the back seat compared to other issues. The info I've found says that this is only a problem when a child tries to contain itself, directly or indirectly; it's not breaking the circular reference.
In response to Lummox JR
As in when a child contains another child? Or when a child's window name is the name of a control?
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Child controls could include themselves, directly or indirectly, leading to circular references.

This time, with the latest beta(507.1267); the initial sd_alert() calls, but the main window displays the same as before and the sd_alert() is unresponsive.
Still no luck with that particular skin file.