ID:171510

You know how in games such as Final Fantasy you're sometimes not controlling the player but insead a sort of arrow or selection box using the up and down buttons in order to select things.

If you were to do that in a BYOND gam, would you turn the player into an arrow whilst you're in the selections place and when you're finished with the selection place, and want to return to the player, switch the mob back to the player? Or is there an easier/less messier way of doing it?

Tell me if i haven't explained myself well enough.
DeathAwaitsU wrote:
You know how in games such as Final Fantasy you're sometimes not controlling the player but insead a sort of arrow or selection box using the up and down buttons in order to select things.

If you were to do that in a BYOND gam, would you turn the player into an arrow whilst you're in the selections place and when you're finished with the selection place, and want to return to the player, switch the mob back to the player? Or is there an easier/less messier way of doing it?

Most certainly there's a less messy way; all you need are screen objects to achieve the same effect.

Let's pretend we have a menu datum that can handle all this input. It's created when you want to open a menu, and is destroyed when you're done.
client
var/menu/menu

Move(loc,dir)
if(!menu) return ..()
else menu.Move(dir)
Center()
if(!menu)
// do whatever you want this to do
else
menu.Center()
Now, the menu datum can use its Move() and Center() procs to take input, while your player remains still.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks.