ID:17243

If you're not massively interested in astronomy, you may not be aware that massive debate over the status of Pluto has been raging for a while now. Basically, Pluto is too strange to be a planet. It's small, its orbit is massively elliptical and inclined to the ecliptic significantly, it's just not particularly planetary. If we found it today, it would be considered a Kuiper Belt Object - the Kuiper belt being a region of space around the solar system with a fair few rocks flying around in it.

But fear not! For a gallant committee, normally applied the task of naming planets, has decided to undertake the (apparently simple) task of deciding what a planet is.

You can read about their response here.

Basically, the eight 'classical' planets will the old nine minus Pluto. Pluto, Charon and UB313 will be considered a class of planets named 'plutons'. Ceres, a large asteroid, will be considered a planet as well.

Of course, this isn't ratified yet, but it probably will be.

Welcome to the future.
Wouldn't it be funny if Ceres broke from its orbit and hurdled towards earth.
... Not really.

And it's not happening. It's a statistical impossibility.
if a comet barreled toward earth jupiter would gobble it up
... You have no idea of astronomical scale or physics, do you?
Nah, i know,
Jupiters gravity wouldd fling a comet into itself
"It's a statistical impossibility." Which is why it's very likely to happend.</joke>(If you don't get this I recommend reading The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.)
By Eris, no maiming of Douglas Adams on my blog.
.............Cool. -_- -Goes to bed.-
This is totally going to destroy astrology. I like it.
OMFG JUPITER IS LLIK GOING TO SWOLLOW OUR MOON AND CREATE MARTIONS
"Your momma's so fat, she's now classified as a planet!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
There's also a good deal of evidence suggesting this solar system is part of a binary star system, the way gravity is working on the outer reaches of the solar system suggests another star's gravity coming from somewhere closer than we ever imagined another star could be to the solar system -- they think it may be a dead star that's not giving off any light and it's probably orbited by dead planets. Still, it could be out there!
Interesting, if I couldn't have done Law, Astronomy would've been my next choice. :p
The funny thing is this is not going to directly affect our lives in any way what so ever yet it still starts arguements.

I'm more concerned about war in the middle -east than the names of planets I can't even see. :P
Dolphins effect us! Without them, nobody's gonna thank us for the Fish When they leave!
Damn it! Now what will My Very Elegant Mother Sit Upon Nine of now?
Nine Pulsating Cereal Chairs, Understand?