I tried a different and less repetitive approach with the walls. I also made edges. I made a red variation and was told to try changing the outlines a bit. This actually came up because I was playing with the layers to see how it looked without any outline and.. yeah... It looks pretty damn nice still.

Which wall do you like best?
Any tips or feedback?
What about my edges?

I still need to make the curved part. I like how the shading makes the edges look like there is a dent in them when they touch each other.

Red creases: Reddish-grey creases:

Next up is the entrance/exit. Then I move back to making the title screen (I have no clue where to start with the title screen. Tried 3 different approaches and trashed them all).
I think what makes it hard to look at is that the walls and the floor have the same brightness applied to them. Maybe if you made the walls a little brighter or the floor a bit darker.
I don't know about everyone else - but I just feel like there is too much saturation.
Big fan of the red tile set.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
I think what makes it hard to look at is that the walls and the floor have the same brightness applied to them. Maybe if you made the walls a little brighter or the floor a bit darker.

For which one? Purple or Red? This is also towards D-Cire.
No I haven't. Nor do I have the money for the commercial version. I'll have a look though.
The floor looks much better because you reduced the brightness so it doesn't look so saturated and brought down the contrast. Desaturate the color a little more, and it should be golden. (IE make the red a bit more grey and lighten the black a bit perhaps towards a dark cool shade of grey/purple/blue). Don't use the same color for your wall outlines as for your floor detail- it makes it all run together. Try making the top of your walls your lightest color.
Grey is your highlight in this case. It being in the creases is weird.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Mr_Goober wrote:

For which one? Purple or Red? This is also towards D-Cire.

All of them. The dark red one is a bit better but its because you reduced the brightness and thus it looks less saturated; like Jmurph said. Pretty much just look at what he and UPD4T3 said. They summed it up nicely.
Get's a little better each time I check this post lol.
Thank you. :) I think I'll finalize the red tile for now. I still have it open in case any techniques dawn on me. I tried changing the saturation on the purple one and... yeah. Not very pleasing results. So, I may not do away with that and redo another image with that color. For now, I guess I am done with this post! Everyone truly helped me learn a bit about pixel art.

My next attempt is going to be making a title screen. I'll be using an already made image as a guide but they'll be different in the end. I'll post my attempt in a few hours.
Yut Put wrote:
have you tried pyxeledit?

also have you tried using one of the many really nice pre-made palettes out there(DB16,DB32 are my favorites. the commercial version of pyxeledit has these palettes as built-in presets <3)

Yo thanks for that pyxeledit mention. Some pretty nice software, I went ahead and bought it yesterday.
Your hearts are on your taskbars o.o And Yut Put has a Black-Hole.
I would change the tiles a lot more,dungeon floors aren't perfect a little cracks here and there debris would work. That repetitiveness is a strain on the eyes.
Yut Put wrote:
i'd rather have photoshop, but i'm so used to paint.net after years of laziness and i don't feel like torrenting it, lol. the black hole is OBS(for livestreaming)

That's how PyxelEdit is for me... after years of using MSPaint I'm trying to use something that's much more pixel-art oriented.

Darn kids with yer copious amount of pinned programs
I have no heart. It was sucked by the black hole.
Everything I do, big or small either uses BYOND dmi editor or regular old paint. I think I need an upgrade.

Edit: I take that back, I have tried Gimp before.
Page: 1 2