ID:172847

Hi im new to byond and Im intersted in learning how to develop games for it, where can i find some good demos/tutorials to start me off?0

~Smoko
Welcome Smoko- my suggestion would be to start with the DM Guide (http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/). This is the online verison of the printed 'BlueBook', which gives you everything you need to start figuring things out.

Once you've digested that tome a few times, start small with Tutorials - go to http://www.byondscape.com/ ascape.dmb?type=%2FForm%2FSearch&query=&category=Tutorials and scroll down to Zilal's Beginner Tutorials, then work your way up the page through each tutorial. That should get you on the road to DM programming in no time.

(by the way, these links are found on the left hand side of this page, under the Resources section.)
<---

Good Luck! and if you run into major problems, just come back here and someone will try to help.
In response to digitalmouse
Thanks, Ill start reading them now, Is DM a good program to start programing in?
In response to Smoko
The Dream Maker (DM) language is not bad at all if your focus is to make boardgames, MUDs, and tile-based action/strategy/rpg-style games.

If you want to do 3D first-person games (like Quake, Quake2, UnrealTournament, Alice, etc.), then there are other sytems that are more suited to that style of graphics.

If this is your first try at a programming language, then the best thing is to take it slow and learn as you go. It would not hurt to sample other programming languages like C, Java, or PHP too, so that you get a well-rounded knowledge base. There are lots of tutorials on the net that talk about learnign to program, depending on what you are learning and why.

Regarding BYOND, don't forget to check out the tutorials and articles at BYONDscape and digitalBYOND (links on the left side of this page in the "Partners" section).

In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Regarding BYOND, don't forget to check out the tutorials and articles at BYONDscape and digitalBYOND (links on the left side of this page in the "Partners" section).

Nothing like a bit of self-advertisement, is there digi? =)

Hey Smoko, welcome to BYOND! Enjoy your stay! And once you learn to program, make some good games; I'll probably get tired of Freelancer soon. ;-)