Alchemist Classic

by Oasiscircle
Alchemist Classic
Combine elements and create chain reactions to thwart your foes!
ID:1754445

You seek death?

Just a short video that shows the opening sequence that I've created so far, there's probably a lot more that could be done but I'm open to suggestions. :)
Also shows off the "combat" mechanics. They are as follows:

Making a union of 5 or more elements of the same color removes them and sends garbage blocks.
Making a union of 6 or more elements of the same color moves your board's height (if you've accumulated any) down by (# of elements - 5) levels.
Making a combo makes your opponents board level raise by one per combo made.

That's pretty much it! That an abilities, which are not functioning quite yet but are soon to come once I've made the key-mappings for human players to play! :)

What do you think? Leave your comments and suggestions below!
<3
Looking really nice! Can't wait to play.
I like how you've animated a little loading sequence for the boards. It's details like that which make a game pop.

One small thing I noticed was the delay between the word GO appearing and when player input is accepted. Have you considered playing the board loading animation during the countdown so the actual match starts the moment GO appears without any other delays?
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Have you considered playing the board loading animation during the countdown so the actual match starts the moment GO appears without any other delays?

I definitely thought about that! I'll try it out and see what it looks like, I'm sure it'll look a lot better than way. :)

Does this look better?
Getting there, but you'll have to figure out a way to keep it snappy so the board is loaded and ready to go without delaying the countdown. Maybe count up the total number of blocks you're going to have and divide three seconds by it for the delay between spawning each block.
In response to SuperAntx
That's what I do, the slowdown is actually caused by the video recording I believe. The actual game when played doesn't slow down.
All's good then! The only other thing I could think of is adding some kind of juice to GO! Have the letters fly off the screen or something instead of disappearing.
Yeah I agree! I'll whip something together really quick!
you could just change the GO! text to green.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
you could just change the GO! text to green.

Sounds too easy! Not enough juice! :P
xD make it zoom towards the screen idk lol
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
xD make it zoom towards the screen idk lol

That's exactly what I'm doing! Also rank/boss icons! :)
When you play matches against other players, it will show both of your ranks on the left and right banners along with your current "rank icon".
+1 still think green text would be nice
^