ID:1779665

Keywords: byond, issue, loading, not
Whenever I try to start BYOND,a small black window opens with "BYOND Loading game information..." in the middle.

Issue: No loading bar,no loading progress,nothing happens after that.

I use Windows 7.

Said problem always occurs.

Previous versions of BYOND did not work,,aswell (same issue,nothing really happens after I open BYOND).

I tried : Reinstalling,different versions,running BYOND as administrator.
I have the same problem too, have tried varying fixes as you mentioned, but none have worked. Have even tried clearing out the registry of anything BYOND related as well as turning off all my security to see if it was affecting it.

Needless to say, still have the same problem, however the client in the browser works perfectly fine, would much rather be using the stand alone client though.

I read downgrading to an older version can make things work again, but have tried this and still get the same issue.

Supremely frustrating.
Sorry for the inconvenience! We will figure this out once and for all. First off, please try the instructions outlined here: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1779284#comment13863876

If that fails to work, as a temporary fix, you should be able to connect to a game directly in dreamseeker. Get the url for the game by right-clicking on the "play" link on the hub entry (copy link address")-- it should be of the form byond://BYOND.world... Then run dreamseeker.exe with this url as an argument (start->run->cmd->[byond bin]/dreamseeker.exe byond://BYOND.world..) in theory that should avoid the use of the pager, although it may limit you to a guest login.

It might help to schedule a debug session with someone having the problem later this week. I suspect it is an issue with the embedded IE browser. It would help to know what OS and IE version you are running, and whether your IE has any non-default security settings (such as disabled javascript).
Thanks for the reply,

I completely removed BYOND from my PC, went into IE and disabled my security on it, reinstalled the latest version and the same problem is still occurring, the temporary fix of using dreamseeker would probably work, but dreamseeker won't even start either.

I looked in the advanced settings, couldn't find anything indicating java being disabled, so I'm going to reset my IE browser and see if that will help with anything, just need to restart my pc now.
Right, that didn't do anything either haha, I am running windows 8.1, forgot to mention, and am using IE explorer 11.9. My internet explorer works fine, no issues with any sites.

Another thing which occurs is that I can't run the uninstall .exe either, says there is an error launching installer.

Most of this is leading me to think that it's a setting somewhere causing all these problems.. Not sure why it changed or how, but I feel like it has to do with a windows update. Thats an uneducated guess though.
Not sure if this s relevant, just hoping to give you as much information as possible, I can use the web client on IE perfectly fine..
I suspect it is probably the embedded ie with win 8.1. We have not tested that. But dreamseeker should work when passed an argument. If you run it by itself, it does nothing, but if you pass the url on the command line or through a batch file, it should connect to the game. That's what the compiler does to launch the dmb. Does dreammaker work and can you test this theory by compiling and running a game?

In the next release, we will make it so that running ds without any arguments prompts for the url to make this sort of debugging easier.

But for now, we'll have to figure out what's up with windows 8.1, if that is the problem. It would help to get more info from other people having the problem.
More than happy to compile/run a game if it helps, not sure how to do it, is there anywhere that gives an easy example/way to do it?

Will start hunting down something in the meantime anyway.
Just open dreammaker, make a new project, and do "run" from the "build" menu. It should compile and launch a blank game. That will just let us know that dreamseeker is working. To test connection to a remote game, you'll need to use the command line (cmd) as I described before.
Well, I went onto the dream maker and follow this guide:

http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/chap01.html#HelloInterlude

I got as far as compiling

mob
Login()
world << "Hello, world!"

but I get an error whenever I try to run it from the build menu I get a error "Unable to execute program"

not sure if it's my lousy computer skills or a further problem.
Ok, so I did the blank game as well and got the same error.

I'm gonna try launch a game through command prompt now. I am terrible when it comes to using command prompt, this might take me a while to figure out.
I am totally stumped here, I keep trying to run dream seeker through cmd with a BYOND:World address, but keep getting told that "C:\Program Files (x86)\ is not a recognised internal/external command, operable program or batch file.

Total computer noob here hahaha.
That "can not execute" message means that something is wrong with the installation.

I will get you a build that is more usable tomorrow or early this week.
Interesting, is the installation due to things on my system being bonkers? (Security,anti-virus, windows 8.1 in general?) But thats sounds good, thank you muchly, very appreciated.

I am trying to remember if the last time I successfully played on BYOND client and if it was before I upgraded to windows 8.1.. I recall this problem from the start of the year/end of last year and just gave up on trying to solve it as i read a few things which seemed a bit too technical for me.

Either way, I hope this has somewhat helped you. Am happy to help further.
Try installing this: http://www.byond.com/download/build/506/506.1251_byond.exe

Then just run dreamseeker.exe by itself, and type in a url (you could use the example "xooxer.chatters") into the box. I'm just curious if that connects to a game (as guest) for you, or if you have the same problems. We can do more debugging during the week. I think the problem you are having may be the same thing that many others have been reporting (including a few of the top posts in this forum at this time).
Righto, I installed and ran dreamseeker to connect to your example (xooxer.chatters)

This is what came back in the dialogue box:

Welcome BYOND! (5.0 Public Version 506.1251)
Logging in...Connecting to byond://xooxer.chatters....
BYOND pager is offline. Connecting as Guest.
failed
BYOND Central is not accessible.
Definitely keen to help with some debugging if it will help resolve this.
Ok, I went surfing for more answers and found out that if you open BYOND.exe twice, it brings you to the actual client where you can browse through games and such, however, when attempting to login, it tells me "connection failed to BYOND Hub",

however I can connect as a guest, but no content loads inside the client.

No games or any content appears inside the client either.

I also am able to run a blank world through the client as well via dream maker. Wondering if I can boot a game from a url. not sure, will give a go as suggested before.
As you mentioned before as well, the fact the IE is 'embedded' with windows, I also found that flash player is also embedded in IE.. Not sure if that makes a huge difference to BYOND though? Unless it completely utilises flash and is being cock blocked by the embedding of it in IE on windows 8.1?
Now the web client doesn't seem to be loading games.

I am BYONDless.
Page: 1 2