As a developer I'm really liking the changes to freedom. ID be using byond anyways as I just love the game engine but it means good news for me. Thank you for not giving up on byond I love it
this post made me start a slow clap!
In response to IMangekyouI
IMangekyouI wrote:
Audio freak XD wrote:
You all do realize that BYOND still has a lot of people, just most of them on a single game.

Define a -lot of people-? I mean if you added up all the Live Games currently up there's probably around 1250 or so players currently playing games.

You have SS13 that has half a thousand on a day. You have over a hundred on Eternia. You have 60+ on Sigrogana Legend, you have the anime games. You got Last Conflict with 30+ You have 40+ On Misuterri High. You have Dragon Universe with 100+ on a day.

Did I mention there are Naruto games that get near a hundred players?
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
One other thing I'd like to see, because it personally bothers me having everything hidden without a preview as to what is there (which is how it was before)... The favorites. I don't like the idea of having to press it every time to see which if my favorites online. Sometimes just go on mobile so that's also another disadvantage. Each time I log on just to see which games are live, I'd have to carefully tap that tiny star.

We temporarily took the live games out of the headbar, because we couldn't quite agree on where to put them or how they should look. IMO there's just no room in the login box, because admins have three lines of links and non-members have the reminder bar. I was thinking that above the menu could look nice, with full 32x32 icons.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
We want to encourage intelligent self-policing. The less intelligent will be rounded up and shot.

lol

The site does look a lot better but...
That top gradient does look a bit out of place o.o

Anyway, I am glad you didn't strip the forums. The website change will (hopefully) bring in a few new customers.
Back to my concern for game listing: I don't think I am a fan of the newfound attention the Game Updates section is getting. A few uninspired, empty hubs have already been posted for games that show no signs of life at all. The moderators did a good job ensuring hubs had substance before they were announced so there's an actual game update to look at.

While I love the idea of being able to publish your own game, I think moderators need to be back in control of 'revealing' a game. At the very least, I would suggest hubs that have no substance be hidden in the Game Updates section. Since you guys want to make it easier on the admins, maybe a peer review-type system could be introduced? Almost like back in the day when players did reviews on games. Basically the people would be in control of whether your game is listed publically through substantial reviews.

I'm just throwing ideas here. Interested in knowing how others feel.
BYOND TEAM +1

Suggestions:
- Drop that gradient...
- Make that logo pop, add something in the background to draw the eye!
- Remove that out of place box around the avatar picture and icons.
-Use white text like you have for the other text
-Make those icons 32x32 (Mine are just mockups)
-If the avatar picture looks to plain against the background add a white border
Honestly I don't like it as a straight color--certainly not as the brightest shade. It's been a gradient right along, really; the old site merely cut most of it off with a curve to accommodate an ad. Not really a fan of the blue stripe, either; if we went in a direction like that, I'd probably just want an image that was overall a little swirly with our base colors included, but then I'd have to make that image very large--or repeating, or fading out at the sides--to accommodate wide monitors.

I'm open to removing the box around the avatar and icons. For those icons, I don't have a bigger version of the multiplayer icon but I could create one, since I have the original .svg file I used to make it. The only problem is, nonmembers see a little bar at the bottom asking them to support BYOND. That bar would look out of place without a box so it'd need to be rethought, and more importantly it uses up vertical space. Vertical space is also an issue for admins, who have an admin display toggle link there.
I wasn't specifically saying go with what I had done. I meant my post as more of a look and see how it feels type of deal. The stripe is merely something I thought of to make the logo stand out more, anything could be used. Do what you guys feel looks the best, no one here is honestly going to rage quit with a few site changes and if there is one person that does.. oh well. We vets have been on BYOND for a long time we have seen the site grow so much and we just want it to keep getting better. Keep up the great work!
In response to Akto
Akto wrote:

Suggestions:
- Drop that gradient...
- Make that logo pop, add something in the background to draw the eye!
- Remove that out of place box around the avatar picture and icons.
-Use white text like you have for the other text
-Make those icons 32x32 (Mine are just mockups)
-If the avatar picture looks to plain against the background add a white border

I actually like this design. It's simple and the buttons are bigger. But, it is Lummox Jr and Tom's choice. It sucks that there's no more room. I experienced my first run of aggravation just now since I am typing from mobile. It took me quite a while to click my updates feed. Lol. It's like I have to be as precise as I am in an FPS game. I guess with time something will work out? I hope a brilliant idea comes soon.
I like your suggestions, Akto! The layout issues aren't insurmountable as we have plenty of width to work with, so we could move information up a line. Not sure about the solid color, and I don't love the stripe, but we can play with it. If we want to add a splash more color, one idea would be to make the right section (where the user info is) solid blue so we have a two-toned banner instead of a gradient.
A Little bit of Nostalgia!

We did have solid colors before: http://i.imgur.com/xlaD9nT.png

You can even try going back to a simplified look. Simplistic is really in style right now. Nice clean lines with few colors, everything is easy for the eyes to understand and process.
Something like:

I personally like the current layout as it is, and in my opinion superior to previous layouts. Well done for me.

What I would absolutely love to see return is the perk of BYOND members getting to change their page layouts, like it used to be eight or so years ago.

FKI wrote:
Back to my concern for game listing: I don't think I am a fan of the newfound attention the Game Updates section is getting. A few uninspired, empty hubs have already been posted for games that show no signs of life at all. The moderators did a good job ensuring hubs had substance before they were announced so there's an actual game update to look at.

While I love the idea of being able to publish your own game, I think moderators need to be back in control of 'revealing' a game. At the very least, I would suggest hubs that have no substance be hidden in the Game Updates section. Since you guys want to make it easier on the admins, maybe a peer review-type system could be introduced? Almost like back in the day when players did reviews on games. Basically the people would be in control of whether your game is listed publicly through substantial reviews.

I'm just throwing ideas here. Interested in knowing how others feel.

Definitely agree, it's the active games on BYOND that seem to suffer the most, more notably the ANIME franchise in general, whereas the inactive, or less active games get the spotlight.

I love the idea of the public sorting games for us, but this has proven to be a difficult problem due to the makeup of our community. The old guilds system was the attempted solution to this, but it didn't really work. Now I just hope that people will tend to fan more original, active games to push their popularity. We could also tweak the sort more over time.

We don't want to spend a lot of time on this as the software needs a lot of attention.
In response to Akto
Akto wrote:
A Little bit of Nostalgia!

We did have solid colors before: http://i.imgur.com/xlaD9nT.png

You can even try going back to a simplified look. Simplistic is really in style right now. Nice clean lines with few colors, everything is easy for the eyes to understand and process.
Something like:

+1, I'd suggest making the BYOND Profile name a different color though.

Also, another suggestion, when viewing the games list, the sorting for the games is off to the side by the search bar, which is kind of confusing. Perhaps centered on top of the games list?
I like the gradient but think the user profile box needs some work as it does stand out. Just needs a little depth or something.

I also want my favorites to show from a developer standpoint so I know my server is still up and running.
i cant even open any games anymore. i click a server and it acts like it's loading then nothing happenes
Where's our favorite game bar?

Downgrade.
We'll either get the favorites bar reinstated on the banner, or have the information easily accessible (such as through hovering over the 'favorites' icon).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6