ID:179177

I was wonderin if using Zagreuses randomcombat sysytem theres a tyo make area with no cretures apper instead of on the entire world map.

I also have 1 more question. Is there a way to move a player from map file to map file insteadf of putting everything on one map and warping to towns on the same map
RagnarofBurland wrote:
I also have 1 more question. Is there a way to move a player from map file to map file insteadf of putting everything on one map and warping to towns on the same map

Just move to a different z level. Other maps are added as new z levels, and you can move to those as easily as to another part of the same map.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I was wondering, isnt there a way to make more map files and change maps instead of making many z layers? increasing the z size and moving the z coordinates is a fine way of including more places, but sometimes using another map file alltogether would make things more convenient. (if yes, and if there is any tutorial or help or whatever about it u could just point me in the right direction, as i would like to read all about it)
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
I was wondering, isnt there a way to make more map files and change maps instead of making many z layers? increasing the z size and moving the z coordinates is a fine way of including more places, but sometimes using another map file alltogether would make things more convenient. (if yes, and if there is any tutorial or help or whatever about it u could just point me in the right direction, as i would like to read all about it)

If you make more map files, they are imported as new z-layers, so it works basically the same.

Lummox JR
i have never seen Zagreuses battle thing so im not sure how his works, but this is the way i did random battles, and it is very simple to define where u want things to appear if u just tell it to make different things based on your location. ill show your how mine works (you will probably think it looks cluttered but im not very structured in this):

mob/Move()
var/randbattle=rand(1,10)
if (randbattle==10)if (z<>1) if (z<>2) //z1 and z2 are my town coordinates and i dont want a battle in town
if (x>=5) if (x<=10) if (y>=5) if (y<=10) if (z==3) //i just set a 5x5 square on z3 for the action to happen
new/mob/monster/bear/M(locate(x,y+1,z) //creates a bear one space above the player
if (x>=20) if (x<=30) if (y>=15) if (y<=20) if (z==4) //i just made another box for things to appear
new/mob/monster/rabbit/M(locate(x,y+1,z) //creates a rabbit one space above the player

i know my code probably doesnt look the greatest, but thats how i did my random battle generator and it works fine (and know i dont have bears and rabbits in my game,lol). using the above way all u have to do is define a rectangle (or other shapes if u add more if's with more coordinates) and put in the new/mob thing and it is e-z to put in monsters for a random encounter. and if u wanted to leave a space for no monsters to show up, just dont put any in for a certain range. i hope this helps you, its my first time putting a reply up here to help someone (i actually know enough to help people now :) ).
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Loduwijk wrote:

If you make more map files, they are imported as new z-layers, so it works basically the same.

Lummox JR

i was just curious -- is there any limit to the number of z-levels possible in a game?
In response to Dramstud
the limit is 1000. so u can have a game up to 1000000 squares total. i suggest u not make a rpg that big or your character may die of exaustion by the time hes done walking that far (that is if he is walking).