ID:1794473

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
For the past week i couldn't even run BYOND. It takes half an hour to launch it and when you do launch it you can't do anything because of it being so slow.

PS: I reinstalled it but still the same problem.
Are you using the stable or beta release?

Because you could report this as a bug.
Have you tried wiping your cache folder, commonly located in /My Documents/BYOND/cache
Best response
Honestly something like that sounds like you're having major system problems. That kind of thing is often the work of malware.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Honestly something like that sounds like you're having major system problems. That kind of thing is often the work of malware.

No if he's using the [BETA] Latest BYOND update I can attest to the hardcore lag, borderline freezing. My computer can run completely fine and then the moment I open BYOND's latest update it's like all hell brakes loose.
In response to IMangekyouI
IMangekyouI wrote:
No if he's using the [BETA] Latest BYOND update I can attest to the hardcore lag, borderline freezing. My computer can run completely fine and then the moment I open BYOND's latest update it's like all hell brakes loose.

Actually I cleared my cache since Fushimi mentioned, and that has been completely healed for me where I was spending atleast thirty to forty seconds for dream seeker to respond upon joining a game, sometimes got the "not responding" thing and it happened everytime.

Edit: And I didn't just go to preferences I went to the actual folder.
In response to Bustercannon
Bustercannon wrote:
IMangekyouI wrote:

Actually I cleared my cache since Fushimi mentioned, and that has been completely healed for me where I was spending atleast thirty to forty seconds for dream seeker to respond upon joining a game, sometimes got the "not responding" thing and it happened everytime.

Edit: And I didn't just go to preferences I went to the actual folder.

Hmm I'll try this out.
Each game you join downloads its resource files to your byond.rsc as well as other temporary files (shown through browse() proc for the post part), which are copied in the cache folder directly.

With the pass of months and many game downloads the byond.rsc seems to bloat and is too big DS just has a hard time trying to find the appropriate files.
I am not really sure about this but from what I have seen, this is my guess on the matter.
OK so, bustercannon i'm using the beta version, Fushimi - yes I have tryed it but it didn't work :/ Lummox JR - I don't think that can be because the only thing i have downloaded in the past 2 weeks is the BYOND beta version,and before that it was all fine. I scanned through my computer and there's nothing found. So right now i'll try to redownload BYOND the non beta version.
Actually sorry that was a lie, I was using the stable version. And i also have fixed this problem. For any of you that face this, delete your My documents/BYOND folder and wherever you have installed BYOND and it will fix.
Yeah I'm also using [BETA] version and wiping the cache doesn't work.
In response to IMangekyouI
IMangekyouI wrote:
Yeah I'm also using [BETA] version and wiping the cache doesn't work.

I guess try and uninstall then proceed to delete your whole Documents/BYOND folder, see if that works.
70% of the players on my game (140 players) are also having unexplained "lag", which is actually unplayable, regardless of how low the player count or world.cpu is, we lag the same.

I'll freeze for 6 seconds at a time repeatedly with world.cpu at 18% and player count at 34. Often times after a freeze everything begins "snapping into place" rapidly followed by a disconnect from the server. The freezing happens per player not to everyone at once, some people are unaffected.

We are looking to downgrade from 507.1285 back to 506 til this is fixed, if it does indeed turn out to be the new BYOND version. But I don't know if it is BYOND til we downgrade.
In response to Lizard_Sphere_X
A 506 downgrade is inadvisable for a lot of reasons (not least of which is that protocol changes are on the way for the hub in the future). This happening on a per-player basis would have nothing to do with what BYOND version either end is running, I'm completely certain, so downgrading will definitely not solve your problem.

This sounds entirely like a network lag scenario (and also, not actually the same situation as the OP). What's likely the case is that one of the hops between you and a number of the players is experiencing a problem. I would strongly suggest you work with all your players to get tracert information for your server, and see what common elements show up among the ones who are having issues vs. those who aren't. You might want to consider also talking to your ISP. Another possibility is that your router isn't handling the connections as gracefully as it should and might need to be replaced.