I always see such great news on some amazing games in the works, it's really impressive what people can put together. But, as I browse BYOND and search for something, anything really, it's always the same old games. Some of the top ones being RP based which I'm simply not into.

From what I've seen throughout the years majority of the projects rather don't get finished or launched, or die really fast and sometimes without ever being noticed. It's a real shame.

I always prefer BYOND over a random 3D MMO, I enjoy being able to jump in and out at a moments notice due to a hectic and business life, this platform allows me to do that without needing to invest a half-hour to fight some boss, and of course because the communities in games seem a lot closer in comparison.

So, for all these (apparently RPGs?) games in the works, please one of you finish it, publish it and let us, we, me play it. Average 50 players with good balanced PVP, that's all I want. Can allow RP but please don't make it a requirement, I simply can't stand it.

Selfish? Maybe, but with the options to join friends on LoL, or a free decked out account on SMITE, and now with the offer to buy Xenoverse, with my schedule.. I'd still rather play a solid active BYOND game. I don't have cancer or anything, but this is my 'Make A Wish'.
In response to ABK Is Awesome
Don't worry I'm finishing no matter what. My game has been deleted 3 times due to my computers breaking and me never backing it up. My new game is now backed up and I love doing it. So I will definatley keep going. My game isn't RP based. And while the main focus is not on pvp(it's both) I still am thinking about creative. Ways I can do it. And balance is super important to me

Also xenoverse is really great, best DBz game ever
Came on here to let you all know that IHOP will be giving out free pancakes tomorrow.
In response to Oral123
hehehehe my plan is working. First ihop and next the world, eventually the government will use our tax dollars for pancakes and take it away from those kids and their education. Take Over by pancakes is now in effect.
Pancakes are good thing to eat pre workout to get some carbs in your system for energy and post workout to replenish those glycogen stores you've used up. With sugar free syrup that is.
It's a shame that my project can't figure on that list =(.

Good luck for all developers and projects !
In response to Tacurumin
If you want Higoten to mention your game, just shoot him a message.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
If you want Higoten to mention your game, just shoot him a message.

His game is Naruto based.
Naruto submissions are only accepted if they contain an ample amount of frogs.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Hahaha, unfortunately i didn't make the frogs until now =(
In response to Tacurumin
Tacurumin wrote:
Hahaha, unfortunately i didn't make the frogs until now =(

Please complete the following form and fax it over to our Human Resources department and, after a lengthy review process, we will inform you whether or not your Narto submission will be accepted.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1800565

This month our focus will most likely be:

- Prioritizing the storyline / quest content most of all
- MOBA-styled event
- Add the remainder of the spells
- Add new enemies / bosses
- Add more dungeon traps / mechanics
- Complete at least new three dungeons
- Class system/menu (...it's going to look good!) and class spells
- Aesthetic polish (impact/slash effects, quest NPC indicator, party member indicator)
- A mini-map
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1799810

Here is my newest update on my dueling system tell me what you think
Thank you for your positivity, I'm sure everyone appreciates your constructive and positive post.
everyone has there own definition of fun. So im sorry you can not have a postive outlook on the matter, but from my perspective the new and upcomming projects are better than anything released yet. You can disagree, but as a whole I think the general consensus is that very few people share your perspective and a lot of others are enjoying seeing the new developments on current on progress work.

besides you, i dont see any "nostolgic byond players" that share your opinion so again it is very few or a select couple you know. Or they have moved on to other games which is perfectly cool. but the games in the past definatley arent as good as the new ones being made.

aand uhhh comming of age? What does age have to do with it? A more appropriate term would have been, "over time I have lost interest." which is perfectly fine, but your still on here, which is contradictive to your claim.
...I can't believe I'm saying this, but GatewayRa's actually right.

With an exception of a small handful of games, the quality of games being produced on the site have been in continuous freefall since 2002 or 2003. That's despite the tools getting better.

Unfortunately there's a lot of causes. I've heard others refer to it as "Code atrophy", where essentially bad habits somehow manage to get passed on faster than good habits.

Frankly, the majority of projects are never going to matter, though. It's the few that do manage to shine that will matter, and SW looks to be stepping that up. It's just a reality of what our community appeals to.

We cater to younger developers, and younger developers aren't going to measure up to the people who have more experience. We've lost most of our older developers over time. There's sort of this hump that DM programmers have to get over that causes the community to lose programmers before it can perfect them.

I said it to Tom a week or so ago: We hemorrhage members that reach a middle-level of skill, when they are starting to branch out and try things for themselves. Unfortunately, these mid-level programmers lack the knowledge to recognize their own mistakes and instead blame the failure of these approaches on the engine itself. By the time they've gotten frustrated bumping their head against DM's low ceiling, they move on to another language entirely, where eventually they realize that all that head-bumping could have been avoided with better design patterns. By then, though, it's too late. They typically don't look back at DM after they've developed the skill to work in other engines.

That, in my opinion is why we've been on a quality decline. We lost a lot of talented developers and aren't gaining them back because of the readily available game engines out there that cropped up, making BYOND no longer one-of-a-kind.

Most people here just lack the experience to really make DM work on the scale that they want to work at, and DM has never been well suited to single player games, so only the projects that are hard to make (and thus tend to have a lower quality) tend to get showcased.

It's a multi-faceted problem, and not just something you can level at this community's developers for "being bad.", like so many do.
A game development engine can't survive as long as it targets hobbyists, because at the end of the day, most hobbyists aren't going to finish their projects, and even if they do, they aren't going to market and attempt to make a profit from said project to eventually benefit the site so that the software can continue being improved. We're the most casual game development engine out there, and that's the main issue. Casual doesn't bring in dollar signs, professionalism does. That's why Unity is a success. It's not just because "it's 3D", but because it's geared toward people who treat game development as something more than just a hobby.

Games haven't been on a decline in quality. The art and game play has improved a lot since I got here in 05, we didn't have anything that looked close to Decadence, Spirit Age, Ultimatum, etc. when I joined. In fact I don't think anything has declined really. We just have the same lingering problem. People don't finish projects, and don't promote them when they actually do because they're hobbyists who don't really care enough to take their projects to that next level.

We have younger developers. Young as in, Mom and Dad are still taking care of them. They don't need money, so expecting them to sit around all day thinking about how to create something to generate revenue for not only themselves but the site as well is unrealistic. We need people who are adults who actually have a motive to succeed at something. That's why Silk Games followed through with a NEStalgia. Silk has a wife and a kid to feed, and he was mature and driven enough to figure out a plan to sell his game. NEStalgia wasn't just some herp derp BS he tinkered around with on his coffee breaks. He would've liked to have made working on NEStalgia, and probably more projects in the future, his full time job.

How many users on BYOND give a damn about a full time job? Not very many, because not many of them even have an actual life yet.
In response to EmpirezTeam
don't want to sound arrogant or to confident. But i hope to do all the things you say. Be very professional about it.
and id say im mid range level of skill. Always trying to get better. But i understand how that could be a problem ter. Thanks for explaining the situation better
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6