ID:1796831

This is an update to let everyone know what's going on with the webclient. You may have noticed I closed a few bug reports recently after finishing the site change, and if so you're probably wondering what's happened since then. There are a couple of parts to the answer, one of them being that the site change isn't 100% finished, and I've been dealing with the fiddly bits. There are always fiddly bits.

In the past week I've also embarked on some changes to the webclient's structure that should ensure much, much faster processing on the server end. This is important because the goal is for the difference between handling DS clients and handling web-based clients to be as low as possible. So while working with a project that showed very high CPU usage (albeit for understandable reasons), I've started on big changes under the hood of the webclient's server-side core.

To make a long story short, the extreme case I've been testing showed that the server processing for webclient connections isn't as efficient as it could be--not by a long shot. While this looked fine in "normal" games, even in Space Station 13, in games with a high framerate or large view size the performance was much worse. Obviously the server will always do more work for each webclient connection than it would for a Dream Seeker connection, by the nature of this model, but there are parts of the model that were ripe for improvement and darn it, I'm improving them.

At a rough estimate, phase one of my structural changes--which isn't even complete yet--has cut CPU usage about in half, and that combines with some other speed improvements for something like 60% total savings.

As part of my ongoing plans, one of my goals is to move more of the map processing to the client. This would be the grunt work, like sorting icons, which can be done on the client end as long as it has the right info. (I do not intend to move to a DS-like system of managing Appearances. Not if I can help it, anyway.) This part needn't be complete before the next beta release, but I expect it will have a further dramatic impact on the server.

Other goals I have in mind:
  • Update the way logins are handled. (This is a high priority as it's been requested by several people.)
  • Make the hotbar easier to override, hide, or even expand with new commands.
  • Improve communication with the outer "host" page, so that the game can for instance be expanded like it can here on byond.com.
  • Improve the D-pad to allow for a translucent overlay mode.
  • Allow TTF fonts (if they have the right bitflag for it) to be used directly, and add support for WOFF.
  • Improve the styling options so it's easier to get a consistent look for a world.

I should have a good chunk of time to work on all of this stuff coming up, and expect to be pretty busy with it for a while. As always I welcome questions and feedback, and your continued help with bug reports. There are of course still bugs to fix and those will also take a high priority.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like some great improvements are on the way.
Is there an ETA on when this newest beta will be released? Not trying to rush of course, but I'm getting close to being able to show off a minimum viable product and if the release is coming soon I'd like to delay releasing anything to the public until it's done.
We'll release them as quickly as we can-- there is actually a more recent release if you look in the 'build' dir but it broke something with flick() so it's not "public" yet. Expect another this week though. I wouldn't delay testing though.. it never really hurts as long as your users know that it's a work in progress.
I look forward to this update. This changes my plans greatly. :) Thank you guys for the hard work. I'll definitely be putting the webclient to good use when a public version comes out.
Definitely good to hear about this. I've been looking forward to it, since I'm planning to build up into using the webclient for at least a few of my projects this year.

Then for others I'm looking forward to the new EXE type option it'll hopefully lead into.
Good news for sure! I can't wait for the TTF support to come along.
I've been gone for a while since I changed to a mac (didn't want to) and couldn't even use BYOND. Can someone elaborate on this webclient update? Would it be possible for mac users to use BYOND?
In response to TehBlackhole
TehBlackhole wrote:
I've been gone for a while since I changed to a mac (didn't want to) and couldn't even use BYOND. Can someone elaborate on this webclient update? Would it be possible for mac users to use BYOND?

The webclient allows you to play remotely hosted games directly in your browser, in place of Dream Seeker. The server has to be running a webclient-compatible version for this to work.

Game authors can also achieve more glitz with the webclient, since they're harnessing the power of modern browsers which have their own ways of getting around the Windows limitations that have plagued DS.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
TehBlackhole wrote:

The webclient allows you to play remotely hosted games directly in your browser, in place of Dream Seeker. The server has to be running a webclient-compatible version for this to work.

Game authors can also achieve more glitz with the webclient, since they're harnessing the power of modern browsers which have their own ways of getting around the Windows limitations that have plagued DS.

Does that mean mac users are able to use some BYOND features?
In response to TehBlackhole
TehBlackhole wrote:

Anyone with a modern browser that allows certain things such as JavaScript will be able to use the WebClient, including mobiles/tablets.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
TehBlackhole wrote:

Anyone with a modern browser that allows certain things such as JavaScript will be able to use the WebClient, including mobiles/tablets.

That's great, thank you
I always wonder. You know back in the day where we had blogs that uses CSS? In the byond game hub, would you allow byond members to use CSS with each individual game hub? It helps to draw in their audience and for those that don't have to leave byond to fell like they're in a new site to play each game. Like playing in an arcade cabinet or inserting a real time score and achievement that refreshes over time next to the game window. Some examples and suggestions I'm throwing out but doesn't necessary had to be followed on it. It also adds more value to having memberships as it did in the past.
In response to ZephyreSyx
ZephyreSyx wrote:
I always wonder. You know back in the day where we had blogs that uses CSS? In the byond game hub, would you allow byond members to use CSS with each individual game hub? It helps to draw in their audience and for those that don't have to leave byond to fell like they're in a new site to play each game. Like playing in an arcade cabinet or inserting a real time score and achievement that refreshes over time next to the game window. Some examples and suggestions I'm throwing out but doesn't necessary had to be followed on it. It also adds more value to having memberships as it did in the past.

Are you suggesting that they add back CSS customization for pages on BYOND that are owned by individual users? If so, they've stated multiple times that it just isn't happening. From what I remember, it was a result of disc space / database issues.

Besides, they've also been trying to get people to advertise OFF of byond. Mainly because http://byond.com/games/username/gamehub is a hard link for people to remember and also because you have more flexibility with having your own domain to begin with. Not to mention your own domain is far more easier to remember. To add to this, you're not only helping yourself by advertising off of BYOND, but you're also helping BYOND.

So, just invest in getting a website and setting up a host for it and start doing some web development. Trust me, it's for the greater good.

P.S. This is about webclient news. Not quite the place to talk about things like this since it has nothing to do with the webclient. Try to stay on topic.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:

P.S. This is about webclient news. Not quite the place to talk about things like this since it has nothing to do with the webclient. Try to stay on topic.

It's because the webclient can be accessed on the game hub, is why I added the suggestion. Also I always thought the CSS was run by members using it's file share and outside source. If not then sorry I mistaken. It's to help those that wants to set it up in a fast manner that all they have to do is provide a link. Of course, investing in a webhosting works too. Also, I have not know the issues they had in the past about CSS. Thanks for letting me know about it.
In response to ZephyreSyx
You can embed the iframe anywhere or give the direct link..

http://162.251.70.58:592/play

Iframe in html page, http://cssdeck.com/labs/rlhszkgg

You're not stuck on BYOND.com and that's the whole point...
We intend for the hub page to be a convenient repository for various game information. It is probably suitable for many games, but I think that anyone trying to really expand their audience "beyond BYOND" should definitely invest in outside hosting in order to promote their brand and have more control over the presentation. We hope that the new embedded webclient (once it is working better) will really aid in that effort, since you can just drop it in place on your own page or other social media, as ATHK has illustrated.

As far as the customization of the hub pages themselves, while we won't return to the myspace-esque control we had back in the day, we could probably (at some point) provide a limited amount of styling (maybe colors or a background image).
Honestly, do you really think anything, besides naruto rips, are gonna to try to 'branch out' with any kind of success? Most of the decent games here have been abandoned and their developers moved on. Of course we're all always hopeful for some new, but it seems only a small percentage of projects showcased get completed. Or even playable.
SS13 branched out with quite a bit of success. I see no reason that couldn't happen for lots of other games.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH so much negativity man..

NEStalgia will more than likely gain some more popularity, especially if it's embedded into a Facebook app.

You're completely forgetting, the web client is beta at this stage there's not really any point in developing a fully fledged game with it or even porting an existing one over IMO.
Page: 1 2 3