ID:1796891

I want to make some small projects to test, practice and improve my DM skills. I know I made some small things before. I want to do other small things. Its because I keep on taking big projects and never finishing them. I once created and published an automatic checkers BYOND video game. I want more. Any ideas?
Pong. Snake. Pac-Man. Breakout. Adventure (the Atari 2600 one). Asteroids. Tetris.
Gotta agree with LordAndrew. Just remake the classics.

Burger Time?
Make the game BYOND was always meant to make:

A roguelike.
Try making a GOOD clone of the original Legend of Zelda game. It should get you started on resource allocation and grid-based pathfinding, and interfaces. The AI is also relatively simple but complex enough to make the game enjoyable.
If you like filling in a once popular genre, why not try something that is text-based? I know that the number of such games have gone down in BYOND, but a great way to get started (my first released game was text-based). Even if it's a basic text-based game.

Heck, I'm still contemplating bringing back a project that got lost due to data corruption that happened years ago.
I agree with the zelda thing. Try making a zelda mmo good practice and it could actually sell. Obviously don't copy images or redo them later to avoid copyright.

Though a zelda game would have most of the basics besides the multiplayer components
TheDarkChakra wrote:
I want to make some small projects to test, practice and improve my DM skills. I know I made some small things before. I want to do other small things. Its because I keep on taking big projects and never finishing them. I once created and published an automatic checkers BYOND video game. I want more. Any ideas?

Hmm this may be a bit too much to ask, but I was wondering if you could make some kind of walkthrough of how you are learning to make the new game. I've tried doing something similar to log my learning experience, but I'm obviously very very noob to BYOND and programming in general (My own log).

The reason I'm asking is because I was trying to find tutorials or demos on how to make a simple card game or board game, and I couldn't really find many tutorials that weren't making an RPG (I just happen to like turn-based strategy games more than RPGs). Since I read you made a checkers game, so I guess you have experience with these.

So I was wondering while you're practicing and testing your skills, maybe you could share your learning process here in this thread too, and I could then try and follow how you apply your DM skills to make a small project. I just tried looking in Youtube for board or card games, and thought maybe creating games something like this (Card battle game) might be an interesting way to practice DM.

Or just a simple Poker game?
In response to Tsenses
RPGs pretty much have all the info in them to take the knowledge from that and make any game. However sense your a beginner you might not relize what's important or even how to go about designing your code.

Though i currently don't have time to walk you through the code. If you send me a pm I could tell you how to design specific things and where you want to look
Hey you know all these ideas don't make me comfortable. I am not even sure what I want. I guess I want to make something specific that requires me to learn something new but doesn't require lots of awesome graphics. Like the checkers game I made. It challenged me greatly, taught me lots of new things, made me learn specific things and didn't require lots of graphics.

Games LordAndrew said seem to turn me off for some reason. I think its because they don't teach me something I haven't learned before or because they don't teach you something specific. Zelda games require lots of graphics so I can't do that.
What do you think about these: http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2012/02/20/ i-need-practice-programming-49-ideas-for-game-clones-to-code/ ?

I like at least some of these game ideas.
In response to DanteVFenris
DanteVFenris wrote:
RPGs pretty much have all the info in them to take the knowledge from that and make any game. However sense your a beginner you might not relize what's important or even how to go about designing your code.

Though i currently don't have time to walk you through the code. If you send me a pm I could tell you how to design specific things and where you want to look

I guess that's why a lot of the tutorials are RPGs huh.. I'll take it I can learn stuff from that and work from there on. I admit I have A LOT to learn about programming lol.. I'll go through those again when I can - there's just something about the wide open world of RPGs that throws me off (that's a problem with me :p)

Having said that, I was trying to learn how do you do click and drag as the main form of controls. I saw a lot of the tutorials with RPGs will use keyboard as a control, but I was thinking of board or card games which requires the user to move stuff around using mouse controls. I read in the developer reference stuff about Mouseclicks and stuff.. but haven't had the time to go through it :p

@TDC.. Not sure if this fancy your tastes, but I once made a 7 hand poker game in Excel using VBA. I think there's not too much graphics involved, and doesn't even require animation (that's why I could do it in just Excel). All I needed were the images of the cards, and I saw card packs in one of the libraries here once. A video of my Excel game here.

It even comes with an AI (though it was written by trial and error, and is very clunky I think :p). I finished the game in 3 days, and the AI in another 3 days. Maybe it's a small enough project to keep you interested? (I've been looking for a place to play that game online, and haven't managed to find it anywhere since MSN shut it down some time ago).

Edit: I just saw you posted just as I was typing this message. Those games look fun :D Like I mentioned before, I've been trying to look for tutorials on board games or card games (which mostly require clicking and dropping items around the board and taking turns).

Quite a lot of interesting ideas in that link in fact. (I like Pipe Dream, but just thought a multiplayer Diner Dash might sound interesting :p). Girls love those games (I think), and it would be impressive if I could make one myself and play with her (not 'play with her' in a dirty sense heh)
I'm going to have to also agree on the Zelda, it'd be a good start for someone learning to grasp some of the fundamentals.