ID:1796894

Poll: Should BYOND use Courier New?

Yes 56% (18)
No 43% (14)

Login to vote.

It has occurred to me that the default font for Dream Maker is very outdated. In fact Courier was developed in 1955!

Yes people can change the font to whatever they like but I feel like it would be an easy and positive change to the interface to update the default font type.

In this way the interface would be nicer for new users who are yet to explore everything and choose their own font which quite likely will be Courier New anyway because it's such a perfect choice. Am I being biased here? Probably. Okay yes I am.

Vote your opinion, post your opinion.

~ Courier new is in 11pnt not the original 10pt.
inb4 programmer font war

I vote Consolas.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
inb4 programmer font war

I vote Consolas.

Yes.
I should add that I support moving from Courier to Courier New but that doesn't rule out using another font instead.

This is simply 'is Courier New not better than what we've got?'
Iconsolas is a nice font. I use Droid Sans Mono myself, but I'm thinking of putting the site on Cousine for a consistent look--it has a similar scale on my system, and Iconsolas looks too thin here.
i don't like cleartype

courier pls
I use Courier New 10pt. Voted yes.
I program in WingDings, lets make the default WingDings and make it so it can't be altered! MUAHAHAHAHA. :)
From a usability standpoint, I'd go with neither. While Courier is designed for older computer monitors and Courier New may scale better as a result of being Truetype font, the spacing between characters is wonky enough to raise legibility concerns. Also, it's not quite as dark (both on screen and printed).

If you're adamant about staying in the Courier family, I'd recommend Courier Prime. It's a free alternative that corrects many of the issues found in both Courier and Courier New.
Fixedsys is actually pretty elegant:
How do you change the font?

Edit: Never mind, found it in the config files.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
Fixedsys is actually pretty elegant:

I like the look of that :)
In response to Rickoshay
Aha! we have a majority! (right now anyway)

Long live Courier New!
Hardly a convincing majority unfortunately, I think it would be a difficult thing to convince someone to change based on those results.

Realistically you could separate the 'nays' into 'no to courier' and 'no, I want something else'.

I think this poll + the comments shows that people want a different font, definitely. Just... God help that man or woman that has to start a font war that's not going to get anywhere.

So, thanks for voting everyone but this is indecisive at best.