ID:180108

I just read ZBT and finished the "game" it taught you how to make. I have an idea for a new game but have no idea on where to start... Any comments or ideas would be useful seeing as I can only go up from here.

-Mertek
Mertek wrote:
I just read ZBT and finished the "game" it taught you how to make. I have an idea for a new game but have no idea on where to start... Any comments or ideas would be useful seeing as I can only go up from here.

-Mertek

what kinda game are you plannin to make, perhaps I can help ya out osme one witch direction to do with it.

No matter what game you make, you might wanna keep the guide and reference at hand. and dont forget the trusty 'ol F1 button!
In response to XgavinX
I ALWAYS use the f-1 butten.

When in serious need, I look back at the FAQ. The reference it too hard to navigate. F1 help is perfect!
In response to XgavinX
XgavinX wrote:
Mertek wrote:

-Mertek

what kinda game are you plannin to make, perhaps I can help ya out osme one witch direction to do with it.

No matter what game you make, you might wanna keep the guide and reference at hand. and dont forget the trusty 'ol F1 button!

Well, if you have played Kapture, I wish to make something like this. It would consist of 2 US Army Squads/Platoons fighting in a stand-off mode instead of a capture the flag type of game. You would be able to purchase weapons and items (guns/grenades/scopes/laser pointers) to do battle with. The trick is, everything has a weight value, that adds to a total. The total number of weight contributes how fast you can move.

As you progress, you can train up your skills (I might include Marksmanship, Agility, Strength, Stamina, etc.) which would make you a better soldier. Each round you would start out with the same loadout or choose another one. You would start out with 10,000 to buy weapons/items for you loadout. You can also return items to get your money back (so you can change weapons)

I would like it to be as realistic as possible, but being fun at the same time, with teamwork. There will be a stamina meter as well as a health meter. If you run, your stamina will decrease at a quicker rate than if you were walking. You could also go prone and crawl, which takes none of your stamina. Each of these states would alter your accuracy also, running = worst and prone = best. Also may I state that while crawling (moving while prone) you may not fire your weapons.

Well, that about sums it up I think. Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Mertek wrote:

-Mertek

Try out the getting started steps listed in the FAQ:

http://www.deadron.com/Admin/BYOND_FAQ.html#getting-started

In particular, make sure you download A Step BYOND...that has full source code with comments, and can serve as the start of your game.

The best approach is to start small. Make small goals and get them done, like:

- Make your NPCs walk.
- Talk to NPCs.

Etc.
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:

When in serious need, I look back at the FAQ. The reference it too hard to navigate. F1 help is perfect!

i read the FAQ once, and never had to read it again.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Mertek wrote:

-Mertek

Try out the getting started steps listed in the FAQ:

http://www.deadron.com/Admin/BYOND_FAQ.html#getting-started

In particular, make sure you download A Step BYOND...that has full source code with comments, and can serve as the start of your game.

- Make your NPCs walk.
- Talk to NPCs.

Etc.

There will be no NPC enemies/monsters, strictly player vs. player. I don't think there will be any NPC conversations/interactions either. The only NPC I think will be in there will be the Armory Agent/NPC.
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:

- Make your NPCs walk.
- Talk to NPCs.

Etc.

There will be no NPC enemies/monsters, strictly player vs. player. I don't think there will be any NPC conversations/interactions either. The only NPC I think will be in there will be the Armory Agent/NPC.

My point wasn't about NPCs. It was about making small goals.

Reading carefully helps too.
In response to XgavinX
XgavinX wrote:
Lord of Water wrote:

i read the FAQ once, and never had to read it again.

I read it once got a head ache and nearly fell out of my chair but then I read it again and now I am so much more skilled.
In response to Deadron
I take big project on, right in the face.

I started right in on my master RPG, and learned a ton from it.
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:
XgavinX wrote:
Mertek wrote:

-Mertek

Well, if you have played Kapture, I wish to make something like this. It would consist of 2 US Army Squads/Platoons fighting in a stand-off mode instead of a capture the flag type of game. You would be able to purchase weapons and items (guns/grenades/scopes/laser pointers) to do battle with. The trick is, everything has a weight value, that adds to a total. The total number of weight contributes how fast you can move.

As you progress, you can train up your skills (I might include Marksmanship, Agility, Strength, Stamina, etc.) which would make you a better soldier. Each round you would start out with the same loadout or choose another one. You would start out with 10,000 to buy weapons/items for you loadout. You can also return items to get your money back (so you can change weapons)

I would like it to be as realistic as possible, but being fun at the same time, with teamwork. There will be a stamina meter as well as a health meter. If you run, your stamina will decrease at a quicker rate than if you were walking. You could also go prone and crawl, which takes none of your stamina. Each of these states would alter your accuracy also, running = worst and prone = best. Also may I state that while crawling (moving while prone) you may not fire your weapons.

Well, that about sums it up I think. Again, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Help...please help.
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
I take big project on, right in the face.

I started right in on my master RPG, and learned a ton from it.

Yeah, im learning a LOT from this RPG. Though I have to say, there are some dull moments :P like now, when im just thinking of how to do stuff for a day, trying it, then scrapping it.

Alathon