ID:180720

I got to thinking about banning earlier (yea, it's a sad thing, but sometimes it simply must be done), and i got to wondering, is it possible to ban Hostnames in BYOND? Not IPs, not Keys, but Hostnames... (As in ISP)
On 3/8/01 4:43 pm Cinnom wrote:
I got to thinking about banning earlier (yea, it's a sad thing, but sometimes it simply must be done), and i got to wondering, is it possible to ban Hostnames in BYOND? Not IPs, not Keys, but Hostnames... (As in ISP)

I think if you want to do that you can just do XXX.XXX.*.* (this bans all from that IP range (or dial-up number)
In response to Spastic
I think if you want to do that you can just do XXX.XXX.*.* (this bans all from that IP range (or dial-up number)

Nah, i know that wouldn't do much good, i know my IP ranges quite a bit. What I mean is banning somebody connecting from, say, Bellsouth.net (thats my ISP)
In response to Cinnom
On 3/8/01 9:03 pm Cinnom wrote:

i know my IP ranges quite a bit.

I actually don't think that's possible; my IP's number only changes the last three digits. Most other people's would too. Unless you're behind a proxy, that is.

What I mean is banning somebody connecting from, say, Bellsouth.net (thats my ISP)

Nope, not yet... that's all I can tell you, because that's all the information I have. =|

No matter what, though, people will find ways around a ban. There's no real way around it. If you include hostnames, they'll find a way to spoof it. If you include their real name, they'll lie. If you include their GPS signature (no, not really =), they'll move into another room.
In response to Spuzzum
On 3/8/01 9:36 pm Spuzzum wrote:

I actually don't think that's possible; my IP's number only changes the last three digits. Most other people's would too. Unless you're behind a proxy, that is.

I know it's not normal, but for some reason my IP always changes a lot when i reconnnect. And I'm not behind a proxy or anything like that, just a normal Dial-up. My IP last night was 216.78.95.104, and now it's 209.214.129.58. Wierd, eh?
In response to Cinnom
On 3/9/01 9:22 pm Cinnom wrote:
On 3/8/01 9:36 pm Spuzzum wrote:

I know it's not normal, but for some reason my IP always changes a lot when i reconnnect. And I'm not behind a proxy or anything like that, just a normal Dial-up. My IP last night was 216.78.95.104, and now it's 209.214.129.58. Wierd, eh?

It's weird that it changes that much... usually it's just the last two sets, but sometimes three depending on your dialup number...