In response to LexLuther
Less Naruto, more original ideas.
In response to LexLuther
I'd like to see something more than just training then pvp. In all honesty, I think the thing that can save a lot of anime games is to actually have something to them rather than just a name. They rely too much on the franchise, and expect the fact that you're playing anime to keep you interested rather than the game itself. If you'd made a game where you restored the village from near destruction by rebuilding it, then I'd be a bit more inclined to like it. The thing is, you could just make this "village restoration" not naruto, and it'd be 10x better because the adolescents won't be playing it, and it'll actually be original.
In response to Lugia319
BYOND provides tools to do a lot of things easily, but not performance to create huge dynamic world.

As for village destruction, there will be trolls who completely destroy one or other village and hold it under lockdown. Would make more sense if people could build things themselves, and create own village. But then again, there are trolls.

Would it be legal to make C++ program, which does same thing as Dream Daemon: reports status and players on hub, allow Dream Seeker clients to connect and play? That would give some kind of freedom to programmers.
In response to Zaoshi
BYOND could easily do that, and the idea of having trolls holidng some village and then some heros get strong and fight them back sounds immeasurably awesome.
In response to El Wookie
El Wookie wrote:
BYOND could easily do that

It can do things. I saw people complaining about lag in NEStalgia but come on... It's just turn based, real time causes much more lag, and there are a lot of games which have issues when more players connect.
In response to Zaoshi
You're being silly, NEStalgia only lagged because it had all the icon generation happening at the char creation. BYOND could easily manage what was suggested. Don't argue this with me, I'm from the internet.
In response to El Wookie
BYOND could easily handle what I described. And I'm already planning on making something like it. It's in the planning stage and it's at the tail end of a list of work (LotB, Castles, Sea Battles, Pokemon TCG).

The main problem with fangames is that their selling point is "You can play as goku/naruto/ichigo/hamtaro" rather than "You can play a fun game." And that's just what I've observed.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
I'd like to see something more than just training then pvp. In all honesty, I think the thing that can save a lot of anime games is to actually have something to them rather than just a name. They rely too much on the franchise, and expect the fact that you're playing anime to keep you interested rather than the game itself. If you'd made a game where you restored the village from near destruction by rebuilding it, then I'd be a bit more inclined to like it. The thing is, you could just make this "village restoration" not naruto, and it'd be 10x better because the adolescents won't be playing it, and it'll actually be original.

So if i can provide this or not even i someone else can provide such original ideas would you play it even doe the graphics is not that great?
In response to LexLuther
Within a limit. Graphics don't matter as much but there should at least be an attempt. But yes, I would play a game like that.
In response to Lugia319
Okay, you just inspired me to finish with my naruto project. Thank you.
In response to LexLuther
No problem man.
In response to El Wookie
El Wookie wrote:
You're being silly, NEStalgia only lagged because it had all the icon generation happening at the char creation.

If BYOND actually used hardware like staff keeps claiming all the time it wouldn't lag at all nor take any time to do icon operations.
In response to Zaoshi
Icon operations no longer cause the strain they did when NEStalgia first went public.
In response to Nadrew
I know this, or are you trying to subtly advertise? =P
In response to Zaoshi
The staff has never claimed to me that BYOND is an amazingly powerful tool for game creation.

The staff has frequently claimed to me that BYOND is an amazingly simple and easy to learn tool for game creation.

Regardless of this BYOND is by no means too weak to manage the tasks at hand, and wherever possible it updates to increase efficiency to accommodate the needs of the users, such as it has done as Nadrew said.

And just with a little bit of clever programming, practically any situation can be overcome where players might experience lag via the use of cluster server systems or the like.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Icon operations no longer cause the strain they did when NEStalgia first went public.

I've done a little bit programming using DirectX and I never had to save texture to disk or memory just to resize or rotate it, however BYOND does need. Not to mention it takes less than millisecond set new size or new rotation, but on BYOND it takes long time, like it would be creating new icon.
So far I see only facts which show, that BYOND does not use hardware for icon operations.

Also it seems my question was lost in this thread, maybe you could answer it?

Would it fine, or against rules, to make C++ program, which does same thing as Dream Daemon: reports status, players online to the hub server, allow Dream Seeker clients to connect and play? I'm sure that would make servers much faster if such option is allowed.
Page: 1 2