Hedgerow Hall

by Hedgemistress
Hedgerow Hall
Serious role-playing-oriented game world, with animals.
ID:1811177

While I don't aspire to incorporating seamless map joining (too much overhead, too ambitious for my skill level) to the game, I have added a system where each layer of the map is tagged with coordinate information and whether it is an interior map or an exterior map. Attempting to move past the edge of the map causes the game to look for the next region and move you there, if it exists.

The fact that you can't see past the edge of the map is going to be inconvenient and disconcerting, so I've added an area of fog that's automatically placed around the edges of the map. When I add more detail to the map, I'm going to be using geographical barriers to limit the physical transitions to a few specific narrow places.

The main reason I wanted to get this in was so that the game has a way of interpreting relative coordinates that extend past the edge of the current map, for things like teleportation spells. Once I add power cost and failure chance to magic (right now it's all free), this kind of thing will be very draining and difficult, but it's now possible teleport to a location thousand of tiles away.

The interior/exterior map thing works pretty slickly with teleportation. Building interiors are placed in the same position on an interior map, with all the spaces not occupied by interior room filled up with a black void turf. Any time a character attempts to enter a void turf, they are moved to the equivalent square in the matching exterior map.

So I don't have to make a special transition area at the exits to the Hall, I just have to have a doorway players can pass through.

Even better, if you stand in the Hall and cast a teleport spell that would take you beyond the Hall's walls, it functions exactly as you would expect.

I do *not* as of this moment have a way of specifying teleport coordinates for inside or outside, so if you stand in the hall and teleport a thousand squares to the south and then teleport a thousand squares back to the north, you will wind up on the roof of the hall. I am thinking about making the default be to stay at ground level (so it will check see if a valid interior square exists for your destination), and then, since I don't intend on having any map layers "above" the ground level, making it so that specifying a positive vertical distance makes you appear on the roof of the building at your destination, or in a tree if one is present, or in mid-air if not (resulting in a fall).

If I ever add more vertical map layers, then each map level above ground would just comprise two virtual Z layers, one for the "ground level/interior" and one for on a roof/wall/tree.