ID:181122

Anyone know what type of Graphic card slot a Optiplex G260 has?

depends what year of the G260 you get
mine came with only. 2 pci slots but ive seen some with 1 agp 2 pci.
In response to Zaoshi
someone told me it would be better to buy a whole new computer rather than stick a APG graphic card in, saying it would improve graphics but simply slow down my computer.

is this true?

and i'm sorry i mean Optiplex GX260.
In response to Komuroto
It's not likely it would slow down, as onboard chips usually are very slow.

Judging from documentation that computer still uses IDE hard drives, so my guess is it's really old. Parts or old computers tend to be expensive as they are rare. Overall I think it would be more beneficial to get new computer, but it's up to you if really, if what you have suits you then you can stay with it.
In response to Zaoshi
It works fine, and i use "canyourunit.com" for games i play, and it normally tells me i pass on all levels but my graphics card.

So all i need to know is if i purchase, lets say, a moderate graphic card like:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/ guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Detail%3B55_158_2064_2064

Here's my system specs:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
510.0 MB of RAM (not sure why its not 512.)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device(Sound Card)
21.7 GB of free disk space
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B DVD-ROM Drive

but when it comes to graphics...all i have is:
Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller

I dont know which one to get, or if it even has to be AGP, i opened my computer up and it looks to have 4 pci slots. But tiger direct told me my computer has 1 AGP slot and 2 pci....but it clearly doesnt look a that way, so i thought i'd ask you all.

Anyways, please advise?
In response to Komuroto
To be honest, none of my games would run on your system.
If you can't buy new mid-end gaming computer, or if what you have suits you then upgrade is fine.
It's all about how you feel if really. I love to play latest games on highest settings so I got high-end system (back in those days). 6 years later it's only low-mid, but games still run on low-medium and some even on high setting, I'm still happy about it.
For example, if person doesn't know anything about computers, he gets either cheapest one (they claim they can't see difference), either expensive one (because price shows it's better). But in the end they both just check email, or read books. No need to do something similar, just get as much as you need, if you can run all games you want that's enough.
In response to Zaoshi
i only REALLY wanna run 1 game :D
In response to Komuroto
Well if you can run it, then why upgrade? :D
If not, then upgrade
In response to Zaoshi
Like i said, it says i could run it if i upgraded my graphics card :D....not really upgrading but actually GETTING one lol.

So that brings me back to my original question

should i upgrade? and if so what do you recommend?
In response to Komuroto
Which game you want to play?
In response to Zaoshi
Just civilization nothing fancy,
In response to Komuroto
Well firstly you could try it without graphics card. If it won't work then just buy one.

Since you want to play I'd really suggest to simply buy new high-end gaming computer. Single game gets boring fast, I'm sure you'll want to try something else, and it'll need upgrade again.
In response to Komuroto
Komuroto wrote:
Just civilization nothing fancy,

Civilization will run fine on this computer

because here the min req for Civ 4

CPU

Minimum: Pentium 4 or Athlon XP

CPU Speed

Minimum: 1.2 GHz

RAM
Minimum: 256 MB

OS
Minimum: Windows 2000/XP
Video Card

Minimum: 64 MB 3D Video Card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (NVIDIA GeForce2+ / ATI Radeon 7500

Video RAM

32 MB
3D

Yes
Hardware T&L

Yes
DirectX version
Minimum: DirectX version 9.0c (included) or higher

Sound Card Minimum: Yes
Free Disk Space
Minimum: 1.7 Gb

CD-ROM

Minimum: 4X Speed CD/DVD-ROM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Meaning That Civ 1 has lower Req

NOTE WINDOWS XP CAN NOW GO TO DirectX 10 with a 3rd party patch.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

This is a old system its had yearly models like said in past post this allows diff ram changes pci slots and agp but its still old useing a differnt video card won't slow it down any because it will disable on board video card.

i suggest upgrade to new pc but you don't got to go all expensive i got a HP pravillon 4gb up to 32 dual core win vista 3 years old plays all new games better then my Mac so it depends on not only graphics but what game works with best.