ID:181151

Hello I was curious as to if we could get a ppa for the linux version of byond
so that they update along with everything else on a users system when there is a new version

I believe ppa work on Debian/Ubuntu Systems
please correct me if I'm wrong
Well, having run basically this a while back, here's the issue:

- There's a lot of distros for Linux.
- They all enjoy packaging things differently.
- No-one particularly enjoys being responsible for this.

I used to maintain repos for Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.4 Debian 4.0, 5.0 Fedora 10, 11, 12 and Gentoo x86/amd64.

You couldn't really automate the process of picking up new versions too well, as people had differing requirements. Some people wanted the beta available, some didn't. Which meant for Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora that you actually needed duplicate repositories, to offer a 'testing' branch of packages.

Although fairly automated, the maintenance process for this was pretty insane, and testing of packages relied more on "nothing's changed hopefully" as opposed to actually having a test process.
In response to Stephen001
Hmm, I never thought about all the work that goes on behind the scenes

I'll just upgrade my self
In response to Stephen001
Don't most packages have some kind of automated build process?

Also, I suppose I could whip up some kind of launcher script that installed BYOND / checked for updates whenever it was ran.
That would be a slightly better solution than what is the cluster of information on the Linux Guild.
In response to Flame Sage
Right, which I made. But you still need to test the package, and that's a lot of architectures and distros to test it on.