ID:181180

I've got a computer with Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon HD 4600 graphics card with an HDMI output, connected via HDMI cable to some sort of Sylvania flat-screen TV, but sometimes there's no sound. If I go to the volume controls, the volume slider for the TV is gone, and all I have is the slider for speakers (which I don't have connected because I have a TV). Usually if I turn the computer on before the TV, the sound works, but sometimes not, and if I turn the TV off and back on it loses the sound. The only way I can find to get the sound back without turning the computer off is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. Sometimes when I lose the sound I get an error message that pops up and says:

An HDMI to DVI display connection has been detefcted. In order to hear audio on your HDMI based TV or display, you will need to have a separate audio connection from your computer sound outputs to your TV or audio equipment. For more information, click the Help button.

And the Help button, of course, doesn't help, because it assumes its diagnosis of the situation is correct and that I am using an adapter, when really no, I am just using an HDMI cable.

So does anyone who knows things about technology know how I can get sound all of the time and avoid this error?
First thing to always try is updating drivers, or if you updated and it stopped working, revert to the old ones. You could also try a different HDMI cable, or different HDMI ports on the tv(some have only one, but my cheap Viseo plasma has 4 i think, so its a safe bet).
In response to Jotdaniel
I've updated my card's drivers in the last week to try to fix another problem, but I've had this problem as long as I've had this card, and updating last week didn't help with this. Also, I just tried a different HDMI port on my TV and it didn't work. The first time I turned it off and on, it kept the sound, but the second time I waited longer before turning it back on, and I got the "HDMI-DVI adapter detected" error and there was no more sound.

I guess I could try emailing ATI, but I'm always afraid that I'll get a "Your card can't do HDMI if you have Windows 7" response. But the Internet's more of a "Your card can't do HDMI with Windows 7 *unless* you download this cool tool someone made" sort of people, so anymore I don't even realize I could be emailing the people who made the thing. Maybe I'll try that.
In response to Cowdude
Have you had this working with a different card/tv setup? IE: Same card different tv, or vise versa.
In response to Jotdaniel
This is my first TV with an HDMI in, and my first graphics card with an HDMI out, so no. With my last card was an NVidia and it had a cord I could use to connect this weird round port (which wasn't s-video out but it kinda looked like it) to a yellow RCA input, so I did that and just used computer speakers for audio. But then the fan on that card died and it started overheating so I bought this card and I've been using an HDMI cable ever since.

This whole thing isn't that big of a deal since I know how to make it work, but I do like it when my stuff works like it's supposed to. But it never does. Woo, technology.

I did email ATI, but they haven't responded yet. Though, I did get three automated "Thanks for emailing us. We'll get back to you whenever." and other such emails. That's helpful.
In response to Cowdude
did some research...

Some graphics card(especially the older ones) do NOT support audio...

But check your audio settings at controll panel. check that HDMI is the sound output, and that you use the correct audio stuff, sutch as 2.1, 4.1, 6.1, 7.1 (really important, should be set to "Windows default" or something simular)

If any of this does not work, it does not support sound(which would be expected)