ID:181223

I have an 8 GB SD card that I need to format, but my computer won't read it. It's kind of a paradox; I need to format it so that my computer can read it, but my computer won't format it because it can't read it. I've got a program that tries to read the card, but eventually gives up and claims it has an unknown file system. I dunno why it needs to know the file system to write zeroes all over it, but whatever.

For the sake of keeping this simple, let's say I have no idea what the file system is on this card, and I have no idea what's on it. It should work -- I've barely used it -- but I was experimenting on it with a program a few months ago so I don't remember exactly what I did to it anymore.

As for what I've got that can read this SD card, I've got my Grandma's computer downstairs, a cheap USB thing up here, and my Wii. When I try to open the card in Windows Explorer, it freezes up for about a minute before telling me to put a disk in the drive, so I dunno what to do from here. My Wii has a DOSBox port on it, but other than its SD reader being more reliable than my USB reader, I doubt it can format it any better than a computer can. Also, if I put the SD card in the Wii, it says "the device inserted in the SD slot cannot be used."

So I dunno what to do with this card. Mostly, I hate SD cards. I have always had trouble with them when I try connecting them to a PC. I need to just leave them in whatever I'm using them for, I guess.
Try plugging it into your computer, and using Disk Management to format it. To open Disk Management, go to Run and enter "compmgmt.msc", then select Disk Management under the Storage tab.

You should see it listed as "Disk [n] / Removable". Right clicking its partition should give you the format option.

If that doesn't work, the card or card reader may be damaged, or your machine may not support 8GB SD cards (it is an unusual size for a non-micro SD card)
In response to DarkCampainger
It is SDHC, but it's not micro. I guess it could be possible the computer can't read it, but trying Disk Management didn't help. Maybe I'll look for my flash drive tomorrow and try formatting it with my Wii somehow. It should be able to read it. I dunno why the card would be damaged; it's just been sitting on my desk for a few months. But I guess it's possible.
In response to Cowdude
Are you sure the card reader supports SDHC? Not all of them do.