ID:181433

alright , im on a fairly fast connection , i just cant run it through my gateway , like i need to use the private IP , could i change what ip it connects through?

~Lord Neko ~
You need to be less vague.
In response to Darkjohn66
like i mean i need to use a private ip other than the ip that usually shows up how would i change that?
In response to Diobora
"Private IP" is meaningless. We have no idea what you're talking about.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Steps to resolve your trouble with hosting a game

o How to get your settings checked by an expert.
# If you give up: How to find people to host things for you.

Shouldn't those 2 be more like "Have x" instead of "How to x" o.O
In response to Falacy
Crispy/Danial.Beta unfortunately never finished the article and the questions where supposedly place holders for expanding. You're right, we (if I can manage to get some help) should probably rework and finish the article.
In response to Garthor
Thats because you're dumb garthor.

He is asking what IP to use, the gateway is preventing him from connection.

The first questions to ask would be:

Do you have a static IP?

Second:

Can you switch your gateway with your router / if not / what/where is the gateway (are you on a campus or what).

Third: To solve the problem we will need information about your connection and its situation.

(Need information but to speculate-)

It could be that your connection is being setup into an Automatic Private Address because of the gateway, if you can remove the gateway and replace it with a router you can login to the router admin control panel and port forward/configure the router to let the actual IP through to specific ports (IE: Hosting a server, or a game, or using an application that requires certain ports to be opened like - torrent downloaders).

If you can't remove the gateway you may not be able to host, if you can bypass the gateway in anyway (software or hardware) then you might be able to. Depends on if you have direct control of it or not.
In response to UmbrousSoul
UmbrousSoul babbled:
If you can't remove the gateway...

erm...you should not be removing the gateway, as it is typically needed to access the internet in the first place (or another network).

and Garthor's comment is valid - the use of 'private IP' is meaningless in this context. the IP he gets from his network or service provider *is* his IP address, private or otherwise, for all intents and purposes.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse squeeked and wailed:
erm...you should not be removing the gateway, as it is typically needed to access the internet in the first place (or another network).

and Garthor's comment... blah blah *removed*.

Well the person never responded with any information, and I clearly stated half of my post as speculation. I am also not speaking of the "Gateway IP" I am speaking of a physical device.

I am not saying to use a private IP am I asking if he is using a static ip, which may in turn be translated accidently into a private ip and the internet won't function correctly.