ID:181678

I think I remember someone creating a control panel specifically with BYOND in mind, in PHP. Something that would have basic file management capabilities and a way to launch and kill worlds, with some permissions.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to, or know any good control panel options that might be suitable? I'm specifically looking for something that works in Windows (apache/IIS). I can handle most dependencies, e.g. MySQL or various frameworks are not a problem.

~Polatrite~

P.S. Linux is entirely not an option. I hate Linux and I hate you, you fanboy!
If it's something about the GNU userland that you really hate and not the CLI in general, Windows offers a package called PowerShell [1] that would allow you to remotely access and administrate an Apache/IIS server quite nicely. However, I think you would be best suited by simply learning GNU/Linux systems better, as they are quite capable and easy to administrate. [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
[2] http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
If you have Visual Studio and fancy getting your hands dirty, you may want to pick up C# and implement it in that and ASP.NET. Fairly nice language, nice IDE for UI development (a web page is just another UI, let's face it) and integrates well with IIS and Windows, your particular platform of choice.
Polatrite wrote:
I think I remember someone creating a control panel specifically with BYOND in mind, in PHP. Something that would have basic file management capabilities and a way to launch and kill worlds, with some permissions.

As far as I recall Tiberath did something like that.
Though, as it is now, handling this through a master world, which then uses startup() or shell() might be the less troublesome alternative, since you can automatically and directly verify BYOND keys/members/subscribers, whereas you'd have to run a DMCGI verification (with either MySQL, hash or cookie) if you want to handle this via PHP.

Polatrite wrote:
I'm specifically looking for something that works in Windows (apache/IIS).

<small><small>P.S. Linux is entirely not an option. I hate Linux and I hate you, you fanboy!</small></small>

Damn you. After an hour hunting a stupid bug in JavaScript, which proved to be a simply typo, you get me to laugh (which is kind of mean if your mouth hurts :p).

As a revenge, I'm going to point out some flaws with BYOND under Windows, that don't appear on Linux :p

Edit:
Great... while I was searching that bug-report and compiling the message, two others already posted. I'm so slow!
You mean like this?

Written in PHP, can bring up a world, view the logs, reboot it, shut it down (gracefully and forcefully). Unfortunately, it's definitely based on Linux and being able to use shell commands to get process lists, PIDs, etc.

Really, Polatrite, I'm not a linux fanboy (far from it), but if you want to host BYOND games, especially with a panel, go with Linux.

For example:
http://www.byond.com/members/ Airjoe?command=view_post&post=91087
In response to Airjoe
Ironically I am a Linux fanboy.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Really, Polatrite, I'm not a linux fanboy (far from it), but if you want to host BYOND games, especially with a panel, go with Linux.

I run a Windows server 2008 server with IIS/MySQL right now (hosting BYOND stuff of my own), so if I can find something that does the job using the technologies I already have installed, it means I don't have to bother booting up my Ubuntu VM or creating a new one.

I like to work with the devil that I do know, not the one that I don't. I know ENOUGH about Linux to get by, I just don't care for it, and would prefer to learn as little about it going forward as possible. :P

~Polatrite~