ID:181721

The icon size option from the map editor has been removed. Is it temporary or will this feature be gone for good within the next few updates?
I recommend you wait until it releases publicly. That way you get a full changelog of what was added or changed, and why.
In response to Stephen001
Why what? o.o

I like to put the icon size to small so I have a better view range. I've found a few bugs with the editor so I decided to downgrade for now :D
In response to Ruben7
See, if you wait for the official release you'll know why the icon size option was removed. So... wait.
In response to Ruben7
Actually, after looking at the editor in depth, many things that look like bugs aren't actually bugs. For example, to stack objects on the same turf, you have to ctrl+click.
In response to Jeff8500
but alot things that don't look like bugs, -are- actually bugs.
Ruben7 wrote:
The icon size option from the map editor has been removed. Is it temporary or will this feature be gone for good within the next few updates?

The "big" vs. "small" distinction became pretty much irrelevant with the new build. However the map drawing code has been upgraded to the point where a zoom option probably wouldn't be too hard to do. I don't think that will be done for the public release however.

Lummox JR
Ruben7 wrote:

I don't care. I just hope every tester has reported these bugs... :P
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
I don't care. I just hope every tester has reported these bugs... :P

You doubt our beta testing abilities!? =O

That aside, I'm fairly sure the best way to beta test BYOND versions like this is to make libraries, demos and games with it. The standard development process, reporting anything that seems out of the ordinary as we go.

Judging from what I've seen so far, I can assume that is the rout a few of them are taking. I personally believe it'd be nice to have some new demos, libraries and games released with the public release of the next version. If only to show off what it can do. Besides, who better to do that kind of thing than the people who have had the documentation, release notes etc for weeks before hand?

I guess I'll have to do my own personal GIAW challenge and see if I can work a basic isometric RPG (small, nothing big or super fancy), if I can find the time. (Time is more slippery than you might think!)
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
You doubt our beta testing abilities!? =O

I just hope all the bugs have been reported. The latest publically available build has a nasty bug in it so that whenever you try to place an object, it overwrites any object that used to be on that tile.

Another bug is that the map instance editor does not show all the instances made.

That aside, I'm fairly sure the best way to beta test BYOND versions like this is to make libraries, demos and games with it. The standard development process, reporting anything that seems out of the ordinary as we go.

I think making games out of a beta version where things are highly subject to change isn't the way to go. What if they suddenly decide to scrap the whole idea?

Judging from what I've seen so far, I can assume that is the rout a few of them are taking. I personally believe it'd be nice to have some new demos, libraries and games released with the public release of the next version. If only to show off what it can do. Besides, who better to do that kind of thing than the people who have had the documentation, release notes etc for weeks before hand?

Well, I don't have the release notes beforehand, and I only have part of the documentation, so I guess I can't really join in there. But making games while it's in beta?

Why aren't these release notes stored with the "hidden" beta download anyway? Those of us that are interested in that sort of thing can read the release notes and find out what was changed.

I personally like the rapid map saving. In 454 my source-code takes quite a bit to compile, but in 455 it's very smooth thanks to what apparently is some new map saving routines.

I wonder if they're going to implement a proc that allows for dynamic map loading and saving before releasing this... only you guys would know for sure! :(
Android Data wrote:
I just hope all the bugs have been reported. The latest publically available build has a nasty bug in it so that whenever you try to place an object, it overwrites any object that used to be on that tile.

If you would like to place an object on top of another, try doing ctrl+click.

Those of us that are interested in that sort of thing can read the release notes and find out what was changed.

Once this has been publically released, the notes will be included.
When I say games, I'm not talking about the next big MORPG to take BYOND by storm...
Android Data wrote:

That's a behavior change, not a bug. Click and Ctrl+Click were swapped, for reasons that become clear when placing turfs in isometric mode.

Another bug is that the map instance editor does not show all the instances made.

This was also a deliberate change. It should show manually generated instances (during that session) created by "New instance" or by editing vars (not by nudging though) and anything generated with the "generate from icon states / dirs" options. The reason is that a lot of instances are generated during nudging that usually are not desirable to show in the list.

Why aren't these release notes stored with the "hidden" beta download anyway? Those of us that are interested in that sort of thing can read the release notes and find out what was changed.

Since the notes on each minor build are constantly in flux and we often include stuff like "Please test X" it wouldn't be of much value. Not having access to the notes is just something people outside the beta group have to live with if they take an early peek at the releases.

I personally like the rapid map saving. In 454 my source-code takes quite a bit to compile, but in 455 it's very smooth thanks to what apparently is some new map saving routines.

The map doesn't save any differently than before.

I wonder if they're going to implement a proc that allows for dynamic map loading and saving before releasing this... only you guys would know for sure! :(

Nope. That kind of thing is a much bigger project because the .dmm format is not adequate to the task of handling live maps. A live-saving format would have to operate much more like a savefile currently does, by keeping references to datums, objs, etc. that might or might not be in the save range. Except for savefiles themselves we really have no way of saving that kind of information.

That is something that's on our list for future implementation though. Native map saving and loading would be much cleaner and faster than using a library.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Well first off thanks I guess for even bothering to reply to my message, given that I'm being just as much an intruder as Falacy was. =P

Lummox JR wrote:
That's a behavior change, not a bug. Click and Ctrl+Click were swapped, for reasons that become clear when placing turfs in isometric mode.

I don't like this behavior change. Could there be a preference or a toggle available for this, so that those of us used to the current behavior can still switch to that?

This was also a deliberate change. It should show manually generated instances (during that session) created by "New instance" or by editing vars (not by nudging though) and anything generated with the "generate from icon states / dirs" options. The reason is that a lot of instances are generated during nudging that usually are not desirable to show in the list.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I happen to have a lot of instanced objects around. However nice it may be to keep the list clean due to some undesirable ones, I would like some kind of option to be available to show all the existing ones.

I tried right-clicking the main instance, but I didn't see anything referring to generating/finding all the existing instances. Have you considered such an option?

Since the notes on each minor build are constantly in flux and we often include stuff like "Please test X" it wouldn't be of much value.

Ah. You don't want to post it because you fear people might come and spam the forums with "oh I found a bug with the new beta" (pretty much like I've been doing x.x) even though it was already reported in the private bug tracker (or w/e you got).

The map doesn't save any differently than before.

... Oh. I wonder what's made it faster then. I do think it was a little faster.

Perhaps it's because the way the map is displayed was changed. In 455 the map displays much faster for me vs. 454.

Nope. That kind of thing is a much bigger project because the .dmm format is not adequate to the task of handling live maps.

Yeah, but I'm hoping that the first step in implementing this would be a simpler ".dmm loader and saver", later to be expanded with a custom format.

The simpler .dmm files can still save a lot. They can't save references properly but they can certainly save a basic map structure.

Besides, what I'm really rooting for is to finally have a proc that natively loads .dmm files. That way, I can uninclude the map file from the game and provide a map editor. Then based on a configuration file I can load the map from some place. Right now I've got this freakish "upload your modification here and my server will waste resources compiling it for you" tool up and running, but I think it would overload if more than two people use it at a time.

Well, keep up the good work I guess. I've recently went through some of these notes on past versions of BYOND (frankly I got bored) and ever since you started working on it there have been tons of new features and fixes.

EDIT: Are there any opening for beta testers?
We'll be doing a public beta of this early next week, at which point we can start addressing any issues that (have) come up.