ID:181743

For a while now I've been using XAMPP's Apache and MySQL services to host my own web site, but recently I decided to try out Mercury because of just how cool it would be to have an @Cowness.net email address, but I seem to have hit a large problem. Firstly I'd like to mention that I have little-to-no idea of how this program works, but then I guess that's why I'm here instead of fixing it myself.

I was trying to sign into Windows Live Messenger using my email but I couldn't seem to receive the verification email, so I had to plug a monitor into the server to see what was the deal and noticed that Mercury was frantically trying to connect to Yahoo.com.tw, which I assume is Taiwanese Yahoo (I believe the window was labeled "SMTP Client"). I dunno if it was trying to send messages or what, but I've only used my Cowness.net email address once, so unless the company that sells Snuggies sold my email address to Taiwan I have no idea how they even got my address... Regardless, I proceeded to check out Mercury's directory and discovered a folder named "QUEUE" that held an unacceptable 500,000 files that absorbed a gig and a half of my hard drive and took a delicious hour and a half to delete. Ow.

Basically I need to know how to stop it from doing whatever it's doing in Taiwan, and whether or not this is likely to recur once I've fixed it. I don't need a Cowness.net email address -- Hotmail works fine, it's just not Cowwy enough -- so if I can't just let the server sit there and do its thing without plugging in a monitor and mouse every few days and performing maintenance I'll probably just abandon this bad idea right now and stick to simply the web hosting.
Remove the program and use a website that does the same thing. Gives you an email address - which really is just a reroute to your email through their servers but you can set your own name.