ID:181873

Using HD with the PS3 seems to have its ups and downs. It provides a higher level of detail and makes on-screen text far more readable (on my crappy old TV text is like 1/10th of an inch tall). But it also makes it blatantly obvious that games on the PS3 have little-to-no anti-aliasing (is this the case with 360?) and also seemed to make some textures somewhat blurry(er).

Does anyone know if the PS3 specific HD cables make any difference in quality? They're not exactly cheap, and my new monitor came with a free generic one =P
No. There only difference between those expensive cables and the one that came with your monitor is their price.
I personally have a roughly $55 Rocketfish HDMI cable for my PS3, and I think it has a much better quality than the HDMI cable that came with my satellite receiver. The actual material the cables are made of looks different, too; I think the Rocketfish cable is made of more pure gold.

EDIT: Of course, I can't guarantee a more expensive cable will help. According to the salesmen at Bestbuy when I bought my HDTV, dirty power can affect your picture a bit (of course, he also could have been saying that to get more money, as the clean filter surge protector costed about $20 more, but I wasn't about to complain, $20 meant nothing compared to $1080).
Smoko is right, the cable(assuming it's HDMI) that came from your monitor is just as suitable as any other cable. But if you absolutely need one, $9.98.

If you're using a monitor (I assume native resolution higher of 1280x720 aka 720p which most PS3 and 360 games run at) you're going to see it 'double pixels' to compensate for space making textures seem blurry, and aliasing more noticeable.
In response to T3h B4tman
The monitor can run full 1080p, that's actually its native resolution.
In response to Falacy
Then that's why you're getting more noticeable blurred textures and aliasing, most PS3/360 games output at a 720p resolution.
MGS4 runs at 1080p and its still noticeable. Plus what kind of design is that? A higher (HD) resolution makes the games look like crap? They looked better overall on my crappy CRT TV than they do in 1080p HD.
In response to Falacy
MGS4 does not run at 1080p, it runs at 720p. It's up-scaling the picture to 1080p for you. (from 1280x720 to 1920x1080)
What?
In response to Falacy
one yaself
T3h B4tman wrote:
one yaself

lol *what* are you talking about?
MGS4 supports 1080p resolution, my monitor isn't running games at higher than possible resolutions. Prototype only supports 720 and that's what the game gets run at, I've checked the monitors resolution during game-play for both of them.

Note from moderator:
Please try to avoid offensive language.
This forum should be suited for children.
In response to Falacy

I just told you it's up-scaling the image.

Note from moderator:
Please try to avoid offensive language.
This forum should be suited for children.
Do not provide material for a flame-war either.
T3h B4tman wrote:

Which makes little sense. And even less sense from a design standpoint. When turning up resolution things shouldn't get blurrier, they should get more crisp.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
T3h B4tman wrote:

Which makes little sense. And even less sense from a design standpoint. When turning up resolution things shouldn't get blurrier, they should get more crisp.

Think as if it's stretching the image.

Which is what I am assuming it's sort-of doing, please correct me if I'm wrong though.
In response to ANiChowy
ANiChowy wrote:
Think as if it's stretching the image.

Which is what I am assuming it's sort-of doing, please correct me if I'm wrong though.

If the ps3/360 do that they're just retarded. The whole point of higher screen resolutions is to get crisper images. I don't turn up my resolution when playing a PC game and end up with crappier looking graphics.
In response to Jeff8500
You paid way too much for what gives you no advantage. Ask any professional in the field who doesn't stand to make a buck from you and he will tell you that you are just as good as buying a $7.40 4' cable from MonoPrice.com. Digital is digital is digital. Now, it is possible the HDMI cable that came with your sat box was an HDMI 1.1 cable, and the one you bought as a 1.3a cable, which will make a difference, but you didn't need to pay $55 for it.

As for the power thing, as long as the power coming to your house is steady, it wont affect your image. If you have power fluctuation it could cause issues, but probably not with an LCD unless it's really bad, in which case you would notice your home lights flickering. And if that's the case, you would need to talk to an electrician or your power company, because that could ruin pretty much anything electronic.

To put it simply, my man, you got hosed into paying $75 for snake oil. Don't feel too bad, it's what they do at Best Buy. That's pretty much all they do at Best Buy.
HDMI is HDMI. There are different versions of the cable, which can change quality, but as long as the cable you have is a 1.3a, you are golden. If you want to buy another, I recommend monoprice.com. Their cheapest HDMI cable will give you as good of quality as Best Buy's best Monster Cable.

The PS3 does do anti-aliasing, but you have a 1080P set, and most games are 720P. Even the ones that claim 1080P often are not, and do PS3 side scaling, rather then the TV side scaling for 720P. If I could go back in time, I would have spent the $100 less for the 720P set when I bought my TV, because it does make games look better to have them in native resolution. My brother's 720P set looks a lot better then mine on Playstation games, despite being almost identical to mine except the resolution.
In response to Falacy
The 360 can't support 1080p, and the PS3 does, but a lot of developers don't bother to support it. The systems have to blow it up if you want to have the image fill the entire screen*.

Compare the following, while _ and - are empty spaces and * is picture
|-------| vs |-----|
|-------| vs |*****|
|-*****-| vs |*****|
|-*****-| vs |*****|
|-------| vs |*****|
|_______| vs |_____|

720p tv vs 1080p tv

This is, however, where the game/system doesn't support 1080p. If you have a system and game that does support it, then maybe you have problems with your system or something.
In response to Jeff8500
Meh, I play PC games on it just fine, and they look great at 1080.
In response to Falacy
Because they probably support it.
Page: 1 2