ID:181977

i have a game and i want to make a shell server but i dont know how.
i dont know how to upload my files and i know how to host it from dream deamon but i can host it for a long time cuz i have low connection so if someone can help me i will be greatfull.
Shayvguy1222 wrote:
...but i can host it for a long time cuz i have low connection ...

that didn't make much sense.

running a 'shell server' requires a few things:

- knowledge of how to set up a dedicated computer that can offer your service nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. that includes being able to provide help when needed, possibly provide backups, perhaps battery backup in case of power outages.
- knowledge of setting up usernames and passwords so that people can connect to their shell accounts (including ftp access, and pre-installing BYOND for them - unless you allow them to do it inside their accounts). setting up file storage quotas and being able to keep people from sucking down server resources would be a good idea too.
- good, solid, fast connection. 2Mbit up *and* down is a decent start. faster is almost always better.
Ok a Shell Server is Just a BIG computer ran off a fast internet conntection i got one my self i sell packages for mine i got i didnt buy them off no one either but you must hav elots of space and know how to do a login proc with things like butty and filezilla and allow ppeole to know your ips and all that so jsut to have your own shell server made by you is really alot fo work and cost lots of money so jsut buy one online seach shell server that run byond or something on google there really great and all.
In response to Jub369
"butty"? I hope you mean PuTTY >_>

You really need to take your time when writing forum posts. If you don't learn to take your time and check over your work, there's absolutely no future for you in this world of growing technology and supply & demand.

I recommend the OP to read digitalmouse's post, and completely disregard this one.
In response to Jub369
Dear Guinness Book of world records:
It appears the records for the longest run-on sentence ever and the worst grammar have been set at the same time in one post.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
"butty"? I hope you mean PuTTY >_>

You really need to take your time when writing forum posts. If you don't learn to take your time and check over your work, there's absolutely no future for you in this world of growing technology and supply & demand.

I recommend the OP to read digitalmouse's post, and completely disregard this one.

sorry i still learning complete english i from france and these keyboreds are WAY differnt
In response to Jub369
Jub369 wrote:
sorry i still learning complete english i from france and these keyboreds are WAY differnt

good try, but even the French know what the period and other punctuation are used for! and i know the French keyboard has them.

:P
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
Dear Guinness Book of world records:
It appears the records for the longest run-on sentence ever and the worst grammar have been set at the same time in one post.

It's funny that your pointing this out was done with a run-on... Not to mention the hanging phrase...
In response to Jub369
Apparently the French surrendered their punctuation as well, eh?
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Jub369 wrote:

good try, but even the French know what the period and other punctuation are used for! and i know the French keyboard has them.

:P

It's possible he is using an American keyboard and can't find the period.
If you have your own computer, you can install a package such as Debian or Ubuntu Server which will allow you to use your own machine as a server (with shell access).

If you wish to pay for someone else's machine, I suggest using slicehost, who has excellent technology and very reasonable prices.
In response to Ter13
We still haven't updated our keyboards from the times of middle England, check out it:

"This frere bosteth that he knoweth helle, and God it woot, that it is litel wonder; freres and feendes been but lyte asonder. For, pardee, ye han ofte tyme herd telle how that a frere ravyshed was to helle."

We just have a massive national proxy that translates on the fly.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
It's possible he is using an American keyboard and can't find the period.

Still a poor excuse since the variations between the French and American keyboards is not so great. The period only moves over one key.

:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout