In response to Bragging Rights
Not having my own car doesn't mean I can't drive. I drive other people's cars and even help them with fine tunes as well as suggest upgrades for what they're looking for.

In some of my comments, I do joke a bit, but you can't underestimate my experience due to my comments. I still do know my facts and the laws of physics.
I understand the risks and accept them. Some comment criticizing racing in general, but it won't phase my decision which I stand on.

You say I judge, I say I state facts which has been proven in statistics.
Me writing down possible tuning parts of a car doesn't mean I'm rich, it just means I'm knowledgeable of those parts.

I'm not doing last minute learning because I'm still gathering my research before I actually go through with it, which I think is the wisest thing to do.

There ARE a lot of racers that have expensive cars -- mainly muscle cars -- that have a lot of torque. Torque is acceleration which, from my point of view, I see a lot of muscle car users don't distribute the torque evenly. Muscle cars have engines with raw torque which can be transformed into speed via tuning of their final drive ratio as well as individual gear tuning.

A Galant isn't a bad start. I've seen worse. A CIVIC! You suggest a Hyundai, I think otherwise. I'm more fond of Mitsubishi. I've seen some tuned Galants that have rivaled BMWs and such, so it really isn't that bad of a start.
In response to Alathon
That may be true, but I'm willing to accept these risks and do my part safety-wise.
In response to AJX
And you're right. Illegal races are more dangerous than legal races. I plan on doing mainly legal races on enclosed courses, but that doesn't mean I won't back down from other challenges...
In response to Copnm
'Sup with this thread? >.> First a triple post, then the dreaded quintuple post. Don't be afraid of compounding multiple replies in one post, people.

Oh yeah, being on-topic, right. If I wished to comment on the subject at hand, it'd probably be something like [link].
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
There ARE a lot of racers that have expensive cars -- mainly muscle cars -- that have a lot of torque. Torque is acceleration which, from my point of view, I see a lot of muscle car users don't distribute the torque evenly. Muscle cars have engines with raw torque which can be transformed into speed via tuning of their final drive ratio as well as individual gear tuning.

I know, I know. You make it seem simple and unknown. And theres always a limit on that. This isnt gran turismo u know.

A Galant isn't a bad start. I've seen worse. A CIVIC! You suggest a Hyundai, I think otherwise. I'm more fond of Mitsubishi. I've seen some tuned Galants that have rivaled BMWs and such, so it really isn't that bad of a start.

Civic is much better than most IMO lulz, small/compact powerful engines increadible amount of tuning options.

Hyundai accent is cheapest tho =P just drop in a tiburon cpu and engine LOL.

Galant is fine for what you want, not like you gonne be doing circuit racing o.o
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
That may be true, but I'm willing to accept these risks and do my part safety-wise.

Doing your part safety-wise would require obeying the laws.
In response to Foomer
It's called 'legal racing.'
Lol @ circuit racing. They have those in league events and some others. Civic BODY parts are easier to find. Under the hood, those parts are mainly universal. A Civic's engine isn't all that powerful. The body is light, so it makes it seems like it's more powerful due to the torque/weight ratio. Gran Turismo is actually a great simulator on a car's performance, excluding exterior interference. It's also a good tool that can be used to help guide someone on tuning a car. Don't sleep on that game; the makers put a lot of effort into the simulation to make it as real as possible.

As a side note, the braking in that series, to me, is WAY off. Other than that, it's as close as a real car.
In response to Kaioken
Heh. Seems like Foomer and Bragging Rights has it out for me on this topic.

Why's everyone criticizing street racing? I mean, there ARE 2 parts to this topic. If you don't like the idea of street racing, you can talk on cars itself. Maybe there's something you know that I don't and would like to share.
In response to Copnm
"Dude, I'm planning to go out killing people, what kind of guns would you recommend? And, if you don't want to talk about me killing people, just talk about the guns."
In response to Foomer
I see someone's a little on the sarcastic side. I'll just ignore your statement since it's irrelevant.
In response to Copnm
Not sarcasm, just comparison. But you seem to be ignoring pretty much everything on this thread anyway.
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
I see someone's a little on the sarcastic side. I'll just ignore your statement since it's irrelevant.

Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean it isn't 100% true. (which in this case that comparison was very well made)

If your thread was created on the basis of "Cars and Cars in Particular" then that'd be dandy, but it wasn't.
In response to KodeNerd
I really don't think having a license or not matters to someone who plans to race on streets with unknowing bystanders.
In response to Foomer
I'm not ignoring what people are saying, it's becoming more and more redundant, the replies.
In response to AJX
I'm not knocking everyone's input on this topic. What I AM knocking is how majority of the ones replying seem redundant in criticizing racing. Yes, I know there's risks, but as I stated before, I'm willing to accept them. Whether I do or don't shouldn't result in the same replies being posted.
In response to Smoko
Not necessarily 'unknown' if it's a legal race.
Copnm wrote:
Is anyone into street racing or mainly into cars? I'm planning on buying a Mitsubishi Gallant, either '00, '01, or the '02 model as my first car. I made a list of car upgrades and even organized them into 3 categories: Street Performance, Semi-Racing Performance, and Racing Performance. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that knows anything about tuning cars, maybe they can help me in my list and maybe can give me estimates on how much each part should/would cost. Oh yea, and if anyone knows where to go for good street races, that'd be great. =D

Are you serious? If you tell anyone with a tuned car that you've organized parts like that, they'll laugh in your face. Not only is it apparent that you've been playing far too much Need for Speed, there are only two categories of aftermarket parts: street legal and not.

Since the point has been danced around by most of the replies in the thread, I'm gonna come right out and say it straight: you're an idiot to think that street racing is all rainbows and gumdrops; one eighth of a second can kill you, or turn you into a vegetable. Would you like to lie motionless on your bed for the remainder of your life? I guarantee you'll become bored of staring at your ceiling very quickly.

Worry about getting your high school diploma first.
Page: 1 2 3