ID:181985

I just bought a my first ever mac(MacBook) in my life and I am unsure of how to install BYOND on it. There is no .dmg file to make it easy, so is it like some sort of manual install or somethin'?

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Forerunnerz.

PS: I dunno where this topic would fit in and Developer How-To made some sense to me. I'm sorry if it's in the wrong section.
This isn't developer specific, and therefore doesn't go there; it would be better if you actually posted this in BYOND help.

Mac OS X build.
In response to Jeff8500
Sorry, I don't see a a BYOND help section :(.

Also I already downloaded it, it doesn't automatically install though.. What do I do with it? A new folder called BYOND gets made with bin, cfg, host, key, lib, makefile, and readme..

I read the readme and it says to type "make" but where?

I should have the rest good if I figure this out.
In response to Forerunnerz
bin should contain the BYOND program, if the OS X version is anything like the windows one, at least.

Also,
In response to Jeff8500
Unfortunately, the Mac OS X build's instructions seem to be for Linux, not Mac OS X >_> Perhaps Tom & Lummox need to do a little update to the Mac build? :\
In response to Spunky_Girl
:(, I need to install BYOND.. Anyone know a mac user who has installed byond successfully?
That's because the Mac OS X build is installed the same way the Linux build is. The Mac build (like the Linux build) is a command-line only hosting solution.
In response to Stephen001
That this mean that it isn't possible to play BYOND games on a mac?
Not natively, no. You'd need to use a virtual machine solution like Parallels or VMWare Fusion and run Windows.
In response to Stephen001
I've never used Linux and I've certainly never used a command line on any Macs. Everything installed virtually the same way on a Mac like the Windows OS. Care to explain how to enter a command line on a Mac then?
Without buying Windows, you won't be able to run BYOND on a Mac: the developers are only interested in supporting the client on Windows.

However, the Darwine system can probably run BYOND with limited functionality. Some degree of success has been reported on Linux. You might find this link helpful: http://www.byond.com/members/LinuxGuild
In response to PirateHead
Just for posterity, BYOND is very stable on Wine for Linux on 1.1.18 out of the box, it's just not very fast and there are a number of bugs. Darwine however is kind of like the unloved child of Wine, so it's a lot more flaky.
to clarify, the Linux and Mac versions of BYOND are 'command line' only, suitable only (at this time) for hosting games, not playing games.

to play games on BYOND, you will need to install something like Parallels, VMware, or VirtualBox that allows you to run a copy of Windows along side the Mac OS. Properly set up, you will be able to the Windows-version of the BYOND software along side your regular Mac programs.

I use a MacBook and a MacMini. To use BYOND I installed VirtualBox, and a copy of TinyXP (a stripped down version of WinXP).

I also work with Ubuntu/Crunch Bang Linux, and use VirtualBox on it as well.
PirateHead wrote:
Without buying Windows, you won't be able to run BYOND on a Mac: the developers are only interested in supporting the client on Windows.

To clarify, the developers are only able to support the client on Windows.

Lummox JR
Just dual boot with windows. I don't know why people insist on using a OS that won't even run a program you want natively.

Last time I read, Mac's support dual booting windows now.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
Just dual boot with windows. I don't know why people insist on using a OS that won't even run a program you want natively.

How about 'because you don't always run an OS just for one single program' ?

I use Final Cut Pro, should I never use Windows by that logic?

Parallels for BYOND *should* work just fine, no reason to have to resort to bootcamp / dual booting. Failing that, VMWare should work as well.
In response to Alathon
There's also the issue that you have to buy a boxed copy of Windows, which is about half as much as a reasonable inexpensive computer. And, for those of us who choose not to buy a Windows computer because we don't want to give our money to Microsoft, dual-boot is an unreasonable option.
PirateHead wrote:
There's also the issue that you have to buy a boxed copy of Windows, which is about half as much as a reasonable inexpensive computer. And, for those of us who choose not to buy a Windows computer because we don't want to give our money to Microsoft, dual-boot is an unreasonable option.

I suppose you're SOL then.
If you're buying a Mac, you have enough to buy a copy of Windows.
Page: 1 2