In response to Stephen001
Very nice.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
I actually played all of those except for Elevator Action. Man Cool Spot was a weird game in it's own. Who would have thought the Sprite mascot Dot would have made a good character to have their own video game?

You've played James Pond and you're calling Cool Spot weird? :P

I've been trying to remember the first RPG I played, but I can't remember the name. All I can remember is it was a point and click adventure game and there was this creepy tree, and being turned into a frog. Although, "Super Solvers - Treasure MathStorm" is kind of like an RPG (if you considered "Super Solvers - Midnight Rescue" a horror game) and I played that first :/

Great, now I'm gonna be browsing old game archives to try and find it. Or maybe I should pull out the old floppy disk box :P
In response to DarkCampainger
To be honest, I mean yeah, point N' clicks do fall under RPGS, but for the sake of simplicity I never bunched them in the same genre. Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound where RPGs :P

My first point N' click was a split between one of these three: Leisure Suit Larry, Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island. I can't remember which one came first.

My first RPG was either Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior on the NES and it was defiantly a gateway RPG. lol.
ROTT - Rise of The Triad
Codename Eagle

considered 'sleeper hits' and maybe not unknown, but certainly obscure and little known to the larger gaming population.
Hearts of Iron II : Doomsday

This pretty much represents the most detailed global world war 2 strategy I've ever played. The fact you can play as any of the 100 odd nations they have is very cool, and the ability to do "a deal with the devil" and have the Soviets and Axis properly team up in an alliance is also cool.

The same company also make the Europa Universalis series, which is my favourite (and only) global renaissance strategy.
Journey to Silius: One of the most underrated NES games, and possibly one of the best. The game mechanics are simply perfect, the learning curve is just right, the music was probably the best of any game at the time, the graphics were awesome, and the game actual made you feel like you accomplished something when you beat it.

I remember playing this game when I was younger, and forgot all about it until recently.

If there was any game on the NES that I would call the best, that would probably be it.

Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPSzYc7JHU
In response to digitalmouse
almost forgot: Padman! http://www.worldofpadman.com/

In response to digitalmouse
ROTT is pwnage (though I only played the shareware version). :D

One thing to note is the fact it is one of the first FPS games to ever have microphone support (at least one I could think of due to the year it was made).
In response to Bandock
Two that have already been said that I liked alot:

Bouncer and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Both were loads of fun.
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

First game I've played of it's type, which led to many, many more. Man, I loved that game.
Golden Sun. Oh god, how I miss Golden Sun...
In response to Zagreus
Princess tomato was pretty good, and for some odd reason seemed like a underdog and pretty unknown except for the cult followers who loved it.

Golden Axe on the other hand is quite well known.
In response to DarkCampainger
I've been trying to remember the first RPG I played, but I can't remember the name. All I can remember is it was a point and click adventure game and there was this creepy tree, and being turned into a frog.

Kings Quest?
In response to Demon_F0rce
I always did wonder how known that game was. I just bought it one day at the store and fell absolutely in love with the game. To this day it is my favorite RPG on the Game Boy Advanced.
In response to Fugsnarf
Yeah. It's just one of those games everyone on the net likes, but no one you know likes, isn't it?
In response to Demon_F0rce
I suppose. I only know one other person who played it and I introduced the series to him.
The tales games have made me love a good booklike rpg...they have made me want to carry on the seiries untill the day I die.
ADOM, Dwarf fortress.

Roguelikes are often extremely complex and of high quality, but don't get much attention.
In response to Amjh
That is mostly because of the graphics that we current have compared to old ASCII based ones. NetHack is fine, because there isn't that much to keep track of, but Dwarf Fortress on the other hand..

To be honest, there was too much crap going on at the screen at any one given time. And there were too many ASCII characters to try and keep track of. The whole screen seemed a mess to me. Then, at least last time I downloaded it, there was a complete lack of any sort of guide or walk through. Dwarf Fortress seems like a complex game and it would have been very nice if they had a tutorial mode or something to get players into the hang of it.

I could really see Dwarf Fortress becoming a actual marketable sim/rpg/civ game I'd buy if they worked on the system a little bit and gave me some decent graphics to go with it. Even 16bit sprites would be fine. But right now the game is just too much trouble for me to bother to learn.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
In DF, you can get user-made tilesets, and there are tutorials in the internet. Just look for the wiki.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5