ID:182013

Why is it that when someone is asking for help, they get criticized for it and people talk stuff to them for not knowing something they know.

I would think it would improve the BYOND Community if people would ease up on the insults and just resume with the helping.

Then again, do what you wish I just know I don't criticize and dicredit people asking for help, unless there cocky/annoying about it.

-Gizhy
Because nerds get off on calling other nerds stupid.

It's like how normal people fight, only it's safe behind a computer monitor with no threat of physical harm.
In response to SuperAntx
Lol, that's SO TRUE!
In response to Gizhy
Oh yeah? Well so's your mother.
In response to Smoko
Ha!
That's why i don't hardly help people on the fourms, or be active in the BYOND Community. Everybody is a show-off, or they rant about how bad everybody else is just because they make a small error.
*cough*Gughunter*cough*
In response to Magicbeast20
Yeah, that is true people tend to go off if they see a wrong game code places somewhere or something like that....annoying...lol
In response to Gizhy
There is a problem though that is often ignored or, even worse, not realised early enough.
As humans tend to have a hard time learning to do something a different way, it is usually better to teach proper use of a language right away.

Similar to someone raised with "chat English", who would suffer a lot of problems when facing a task to require strict use of correct English, it is often hard to obey object oriented programming paradigm after learning to write spaghetti code.
An asterisk or two is not sufficient to mask bad language. The rule here is, don't use it period.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
My bad I'll fix it.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Similar to someone raised with "chat English", who would suffer a lot of problems when facing a task to require strict use of correct English, it is often hard to obey object oriented programming paradigm after learning to write spaghetti code.

The facts have actually proven otherwise when studied: children who grow up texting and chatting, raised with "chat English", are more literate and do significantly better in language classes than the average.

Now, that one study isn't huge because there were only 88 participants. There was a much bigger one done in Canada last year, but I can't find the link. Hopefully the study will be reproduced and printed many times around the world so that we can eventually debunk this stupid myth that somehow more communication makes people less literate.
If you are talking about my comment about your BYOND hosting, then you need to get over it. I actually didn't say anything rude. What I said was true and only suggested people approach the service with a grain of salt, because we have had several users on BYOND who have had hosting services offered to us, and it went down awful. Perhaps I am wrong and you will be a wonderful host, and when someone can say that, when I am in need of a host, I will be more then willing to hand over cash to you for your services. But I am always wiry of services when I have to pay hard earned money out of my own pocket.

Which brings to question something else. At first you said your costs where yearly and now you changed it to monthly. Why is that? And the people who already signed up, do they still get the yearly service or did you change that on them? Another question I have is why you are using the zen hosting service if you have a hosting company of your own? These are curious details.
In response to PirateHead
It could be related to that those children probably learned the basic principles of the English language and its grammar before texting. I don't know about you, but after mispronouncing words as a child, the habit of mispronouncing words stuck. I pronounced "surround" as "shround" and "capable" as "cappable" until a couple of years ago.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
It could be related to that those children probably learned the basic principles of the English language and its grammar before texting. I don't know about you, but after mispronouncing words as a child, the habit of mispronouncing words stuck. I pronounced "surround" as "shround" and "capable" as "cappable" until a couple of years ago.

Both of my brothers have girlfriends that can't spell or do math at all, and between them have a full library of words they never pronounce right despite any correction (such as "fustrated", "dee-scusting", "libary", "wornk"), but both pay hundreds of dollars to text message constantly... and I mean constantly, their phones are going off all hours of the day and night.
In response to Mobius Evalon
So you're saying texting caused this problem?
In response to Jerico2day
Jerico2day wrote:
So you're saying texting caused this problem?

He's providing a counter-example to PirateHead's post.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
A counter-example is well and good, but remember the adage: "The plural of anecdote is not data."

Anecdotes which show an exception to the norm are often very easy to come up with, and it is tempting to use them as evidence when you feel that they are representative of your point. However, one should fight the temptation when data collected from a large sample shows a different result.

In this case, while some individuals who may have terrible language skills are also heavy texters, there is ample evidence to suggest that, on average, texters have better language skills than the rest.

(As a side note, I'm still somewhat skeptical of that metric, for this reason: children who have access to computers and cell phones for their enjoyment are more likely to belong to wealthy families. Children who come from wealth have far better language on average; thus, the current studies which link texting to language skills may actually be linking cell phone possession to wealth. What do you think about that?)
And in New Zealand, they allow their kids to use text-speak in their English exams and tests. This can not be beneficial to humanity at all.

The only people who learn from using text messaging are the ones with dictionary enabled, so they're forced to remember how the word is spelled. Those with dictionary disabled using numerical substitutes for words can't possibly be learning better spelling, there's just no way.
People who learn to communicate badly continue to do so, regardless of medium. On a regular basis I encounter people who lack basic communication skills, including the ability to describe a situation in detail. Fairly frequently I encounter people who aren't even trying to make themselves understood, who continue to use this broken misspeak in venues where it doesn't have any place.

Frankly there can be no value in a study that says people who learned to communicate badly are good at communication, although the study you mentioned doesn't in fact say that--it talks more of a link to overall literacy, which as you said in another post could well be related to mere wealth. But people who rely on "chatspeak" don't learn how to communicate properly in non-realtime venues or usually so much even in full sentences. To suggest otherwise is to suggest that a person drilled from birth to believe 2+2=5 can explain tensor calculus. Such people have trouble being taken seriously because they don't try to present themselves as someone who should be taken seriously.

Snagler's point isn't about literacy as much as it is about communication. Such people may be able to read English very well, but write? Nope. If you're used to writing in one fashion, it becomes very difficult to write in another. And written English is only mastered through practice--some very common expressions in the spoken language are difficult to write properly in the written language, which is the idiomatic equivalent of a spelling error. And there are, of course, the inevitable spelling errors; spelling too takes some measure of practice.

Lummox JR
PirateHead wrote:
In this case, while some individuals who may have terrible language skills are also heavy texters, there is ample evidence to suggest that, on average, texters have better language skills than the rest.

I think it shows that many "texters" just have some skill in language. It doesn't show that "texters" have better language than the rest, by any means. A full-scale study would have to take place to show otherwise.

(As a side note, I'm still somewhat skeptical of that metric, for this reason: children who have access to computers and cell phones for their enjoyment are more likely to belong to wealthy families. Children who come from wealth have far better language on average; thus, the current studies which link texting to language skills may actually be linking cell phone possession to wealth. What do you think about that?)

I don't really enjoy texting. I find it to be a pain in the ass because I have to hit the buttons a number of times in a certain order to get the correct character, and if I miss it, I cycle through all of the characters once more. That's a lot of work to be done when I can simply call someone. I don't know where I was going with this.

Your statement regarding children with wealth is slightly bunk, at least for the area I live in (but I live in Miami, go figure!). I don't know a single wealthy kid that doesn't write or speak in slang, utilizing incorrect language. I'm not wealthy at all (actually quite the opposite), but I have Boost Mobile as a phone service provider ($50 a month) and an old eMachines PC that has kept me going for years, and I think I write properly.
Page: 1 2