ID:182108

well I was relitively bored a while ago and i was watching the 2008 video game awards hosted by jack black on spike tv and i suddenly realized... hey wouldn't it be cool if byond hosted the "Byond Game Awards" I mean people would nominate their favorite game and the games in the sections such as Best Fan Game, or Best RPG and the winners could get ... i dont know some sort of reward and the rights to put "Byond's #1 (insert category won here) Game of (insert year here)" or "Nominated for Byond's best of all times" i know it would cause some comotion is people just putting that on their game but still I thought it would be fun.

EDIT: well i know its new years eve and well their is not enough time left but still that would be fun for next year
I like that idea. :) Limit people's voting to only 1 game per category per...IP I suppose since people can very easily make a new account. It's harder to change your IP.
In response to Mizukouken Ketsu
Mizukouken Ketsu wrote:
I like that idea. :) Limit people's voting to only 1 game per category per...IP I suppose since people can very easily make a new account. It's harder to change your IP.
well their is some issues with the whole ip thing is that some people share a computer or have more than one computer in their house so thats one complicatation
Actually, changing your IP is often easier and faster than making a new account.
In response to Kaioken
i know as much as i hate to say it (mostly because i'm not a member) they should only allow member's for byond to nominate games theirfore reducing the ammount of people spamming the crap out of alt accounts.
This idea has come up before, and it never went anywhere on account of being not such a good idea. The vast majority of BYOND Members are anime fans, so the vast majority of games nominated would be anime games, many of them rips.

Lummox JR
In response to Kaioken
That's why it should be IP-range based.
In response to Lummox JR
Sadly that's true, but they would only have a chance to win in two categories -- Anime and best game of the year. Since they aren't in the RPG guild even though most are RPG's, they wouldn't be accounted for when voting for a RPG game.

Maybe even have an "Best unpublished game of the year" or something in which every game that's not IN a guild would be voted for. That would obviously include all of the rips that aren't in the Anime guild.
In response to Lummox JR
Would there be a legal way for BYOND to read the IP address on peoples' computers? (not router IP), so you guys can limit 1 vote per machine?
In response to Andre-g1
Andre-g1 wrote:
Sadly that's true, but they would only have a chance to win in two categories -- Anime and best game of the year. Since they aren't in the RPG guild even though most are RPG's, they wouldn't be accounted for when voting for a RPG game.

Maybe even have an "Best unpublished game of the year" or something in which every game that's not IN a guild would be voted for. That would obviously include all of the rips that aren't in the Anime guild.

That is a really good idea too because i know plenty of good games that are unpublished, and another good title would be "Best single player game" or somthing like that. well atlest people are understanding what i'm trying to say.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
This idea has come up before, and it never went anywhere on account of being not such a good idea. The vast majority of BYOND Members are anime fans, so the vast majority of games nominated would be anime games, many of them rips.

Lummox JR

What i'm thinking is taht we should like collect the ammount of people who voted for that game (in the category) and the 4-6 games with the highest number of nominations would be featured as a nominee for that category like for example .... a naruto game (not getting spicific) got 130 votes to be the best anime game, a DBZ game got 163 votes for the best anime game (i know their is a DBZ game guild becides the fact its an anime), a Death note game had 126 votes to be the best anime game, they would all be put up as pertisipants for the best anime guild and byond members could vote for which one is the winner and they would be the winner. But we shouldn't exclude some of the rips because plenty of people like those kind of games we just cant say that one game isn't alloud to be a winner because its a rip it would cause a byond chaos. But becides the fact you are right
In response to Andre-g1
Uh, obviously not. Then you could have only one guy vote out of all the population of people using the same ISP in the same area. Not a very wise choice. You wouldn't want to go and try voting just to find out someone has already voted for you... and your entire area as well. =P
In response to Kaioken
Isn't ip-range based on a small area, like a house or a neighbourhood ? That's what I thought.
In response to Andre-g1
Only if the IPs are fixed - often an ISP will assign whatever IPs that aren't in use at the moment to you, so you might end up with the IP of someone who was previously banned.
In response to Hazman
Or you could do it like Hollywood. They elect an unbiased board of memebers who then bring 4 or 5 nominations to be voted apon. Nominating would be a simple click on the hub? And having an option for what category your voting on would be a nice idea. Not to mention the categories could be say: Best Action game, Best graphics action game, best graphics fan game etc...
In response to Rtbbvr
Rtbbvr wrote:
Or you could do it like Hollywood. They elect an unbiased board of memebers who then bring 4 or 5 nominations to be voted apon.

The Academy isn't by any means unbiased. Each member has their favorite type of films, and favors movies with certain themes or messages above others. And the Academy stays fairly consistent in its bias, so literally for as long as the Oscars have existed, comedy films have always gotten short shrift (for example) while dramas always clean up. A few other genres also get disrespected, like science fiction and fantasy, relegated to only ever receiving awards for effects or sound or sometimes makeup or costumes.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I don't see why BYOND wouldn't just only allow a few nominees from each guild, instead of people just voting for whatever all whilly nilly.
I'd like to hear a podcast consisting of BYOND Staff. It would be nice to put some faces (well, voices) behind the screen names. Talk about what goes on behind the scenes and make things a little more transparent.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
I'd like to hear a podcast consisting of BYOND Staff. It would be nice to put some faces (well, voices) behind the screen names. Talk about what goes on behind the scenes and make things a little more transparent.

I've considered something along those lines before, but the main problem is finding good content to fill in with every week (and also, finding time to write and record it).

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2 3