ID:182113

Anyone have some tips on keeping my computers temprature lower without having to buy a newer powersuply to add aditional fans in desktop?

I already have the computers power options balanced to reduce heat,
I already have it isolated with both sides exposed to the air,
I already have as many components as will fit inside the case,
Why are you concerned? Is it over heating?
What are the temperature readings idle and under load?

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
I'm concered because the desktop is rather small, the parts are all close together and what little expansion room it had in it, I have used. The fans are reading in the middle 80 degrees while running some basic programs (web browser, and media/radio tuner). While it can reach temps that are dangerously high (110 being my highest read) I'm more concered with the fact that its always hot.

This is much much to hot for my system, I needed to know if there are any specific ways I can try to reduce my heat w/o buying or replacing internal components.
In response to Rtbbvr
43 degrees C is not hot at all, particularly if you're running a P4 system. My P4 system would run at about 40 degrees no problem. A p4 can handle temps of about 60 max.

I'd say you're fine.

If you're getting a case temp of 40 degrees (ambient temp), it's a little high, but not dangerously so as long as your processor isn't climbing up to 60 degrees.
In response to Jerico2day
Ok, I was just worried because of the small size of my desktop. I did manage to find some helpful tips online and have cleaned the dust out of the vents a bit, so I SHOULD be fine, just it being so hot nags me...
If your that worried about it, you can do what my friend does and take off all the panels you can and directly have a fan blowing into the computer case. I personally don't like doing this since I feel the case should be closed off to avoid as much dirt on the inside as possible.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
If the room your computer is in is generally dirt and dust free then you could try that. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you have pets (especially cats).

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
Or hamsters ;p
Cord management is a way it can help. Both interior and exterior. If you have IDE(ribon cable) harddrives and CDROMs, I recommend looking up folding and routing techniques. By removing obstructions to the airflow, you can increase the circulation of air, and get better cooling.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

Get some of that stuff. Lasts like forever and does a great job.
In response to Rtbbvr
That's quite cool by today's standards.
In response to Rtbbvr
Around the 90c mark, your CPU starts taking damage. Over 100 for extended periods is almost certain to fry something (Talking CPU temp here, not case temperature).

80c steady isn't anything to be concerned about, but theres no setup today that should ever go above 92-95c and thats pushing it. 90c when active is pretty standard, but the danger increases exponentially after 95c+
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Around the 90c mark, your CPU starts taking damage. Over 100 for extended periods is almost certain to fry something (Talking CPU temp here, not case temperature).

80c steady isn't anything to be concerned about, but theres no setup today that should ever go above 92-95c and thats pushing it. 90c when active is pretty standard, but the danger increases exponentially after 95c+

Are you kidding me?!
Intel's thermal limit on most chips are around 72C.
Check Intel's site for the maximum your chip should sit at.
In response to Flame Sage
True. Same with AMD. I have a 5000+ and it states it's max at 72C.

George Gough
Flame Sage wrote:
Are you kidding me?!
Intel's thermal limit on most chips are around 72C.
Check Intel's site for the maximum your chip should sit at.

No, I'm not kidding you. I'm well aware of what they state. But are you aware of the fact that when they release temperature and humidity specs, they opt for the lowest common denominator? This is because they don't want to be held liable, and conditions may vary depending on where the computer is.

Heres an example: When they test in their lab, they may find a heat maximum of 130-140c. They then reduce by a stock percentage, because:

* Your computer may have dust in it
* The airflow may be insufficient
* You might be a smoker
* They don't want to be held liable.

This is similar to how a cable might state a weight maximum of 5kg. In actuality most cables (professional-grade for flying anyhow; i.e. stage setups and other gear hanging in the air) go with factor 7. This means it can actually hold 35kg.

So once again, I re-iterate: 80c steady is nothing to be concerned about if the environment is solid (Airflow, not huge gobs of dust, proper amount of cooling paste on CPU, etc).
The specified thermal "limit" is when the CPU starts scaling back it's own frequency to protect itself. It's not the point of super-conduction.
Some heat tips.

Place your CPU tower on a 'cooling mat'. These are just glorified flat fans that make very little noise and can be plugged directly into a wall. (Mostly used for laptops, but I couldn't see why cooling the tower itself wouldn't help.)

Isolate your tower to maximize airflow.

Remove the metal guards on the PCI slots on the outside of the tower.

In response to Axiom
At 2.5 Ghz..
IDLE: 29C
Max Load (with Intel Burn Test): 39 C
* Intel Burn Test is about as hot as your ever going to get, heh.

Running Xigmatek HD1283 with OCZ Freeze and Bolt Through Kit.

Even at 3.7 Ghz I never remember it going past 60 C
I idle at around 49C and thats in an Antec 900 Gamer case, which has about the best airflow of any case I've found - Ever. The same computer in a sub-par case (still with proper airflow) was about 15c higher while idle.

Intel C2D 3.0GHz
GeForce 8800GT (G92 chip)
M-Audio 44 sound card
4GB Kingston HyperX 4-4-4-12 800MHz
72GB WD Raptor 10k RPM for system disk
500GB Samsung 7200RPM
Noctua CPU fan

Peaks around 75-80C crunching some CPU and graphics tests. Most of what gets hot is probably the 8800GT, an 8800GTS with two slots, a slower but bigger fan or water cooling for GFX/CPU would help a lot. At one point it ran for a bit at 98C because a friend had mounted the backmost fan of the case he gave me in the opposite direction, so it was blowing air back into the cabinet. Took me half a day to figure out what was wrong until I tried looking at the airflow.
Page: 1 2