ID:182177

Its coming out but whats the point? I'd go as far to say that at least half of the players going to get it will download a torrent of it, and anouther quarter will probably just buy one copy and share it with friends. Do they have some kind of way to prevent this? If not, why don't they? Seriously stupid idea to have the most popular MMORPG's newest expansion so easy to obtain.
Probably the famous CD-KEY method.

Or activation code.
Um.. You tie an expansion to an account with a key. You can download the expansion, sure - But unless your account is flagged as having the exppansion you won't be able to participate in it.
In response to Alathon
Most people use torrents of mmorpgs games so they can join private servers which usually suck. Otherwise there only good if you broke your purchased copy and didn't have a way to download it else where. I am surprised you actually think these game companies are dumb enough to not have some kind of pirate protection. Torrent are impossible to stop; there is not much software out there that is not available on the internet.

Most companies can't even keep non-public software from getting released. There is a torrent floating around that has 15% of the Windows 2000 source code and another torrent has most of Windows NT in it and Microsoft confirms the leaks.
In response to Soldierman
Soldierman wrote:
There is a torrent floating around that has 15% of the Windows 2000 source code and another torrent has most of Windows NT in it and Microsoft confirms the leaks.

which will soon lead to Naruto/WOTS rips of Windows - oh joy! i can just imagine the MS support forums getting swamped with posts like 'i added lunix codez n now nuthin works. wut i do ta fix?'
The way I see it, Blizzard won't care if people download an copy of Lich King, for starters, before you can even access that new content you have to unlock it through your Blizzard account. So it dosen't matter if you download the game or not, you'll still have to pay to access the new content.

As far as private servers go, a few of the more popular ones, are not even supporting Lich King yet. They support World of Warcraft, Blizzard and what they do. Because of that, they are going to wait to install the new content on their servers, hoping people will pay to play, at least for awhile.

You ask yourself, whats the point? Well for starters, if you even bother to pay the game to begin with, don't you think Blizzard deserves some sort of compensation? You would be supporting a game and dev. team, you enjoy, enough at least to play on the side.
In response to digitalmouse
If Jesus came to Earth and made windows and linux have a baby, I think that'd be just fantastic.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
If Jesus came to Earth and made windows and linux have a baby, I think that'd be just fantastic.

We actually call that SkyOS, but Jesus had nothing to do with it!
In response to Trosh Kubyo
before you can even access that new content you have to unlock it through your Blizzard account. So it dosen't matter if you download the game or not, you'll still have to pay to access the new content

You're also supposed to confirm you bought Spore before you can play it. These things mean nothing to C#/C++ developers with too much time on their hands, nor to the people that they distribute their program cracks to.
In response to Jeff8500
When you are connecting to Blizzards servers to play the game, all the cracks in the world can't help you. It's like saying that someone with enough HTML and CSS skills could give themselves the members benefits on the BYOND blogs.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
But it sure does sound like it is Jesus! Seriously, I would buy when it comes out if I could guarantee that it would support all windows programs (which it probably can't without any outside programs >_>).
In response to Jeff8500
Well, I know about Spore, but I also can't play it online, only offline. So theres the catch for your example to World of Warcraft right there. If people where able to make hacks or cracks that let you play expansions for free, there would also be hacks to make your player level #1.INF, but there isn't.
SkyOS looks kind of cool, but unless I can run windows native games on it without a problem, I'll stick to windows.
In response to Danial.Beta
Ah, interesting. They check the key you entered against a database of used and distributed keys then?
In response to Jeff8500
When you install it, your key gets associated with your account. So, for example, even if you went to a friends house that had it, if you had not purchased it, than you would not be able to use the content.

In a game where you are always connected to a server, why wouldn't they do this?
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
Ah, interesting. They check the key you entered against a database of used and distributed keys then?

You register your account to be eligable for an expansion (or the game) through the website. Once the key checks out, its labelled as 'used' and cannot be used ever again to register to any account. At the same time, your account is now eligable for whatever content the key belonged to.

Thus, no - You can't really cheat there. If you modify the game and relocate your character ('teleportation hacks') to expansion-only content you don't own, you put your account at even greater risk than it already is by teleport-hacking. I had a friend who did this in EverQuest; his account was instantly red-flagged because it was accessing content it didn't have, and banned before the next day when he tried logging on again.
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
If you modify the game and relocate your character ('teleportation hacks') to expansion-only content you don't own, you put your account at even greater risk than it already is by teleport-hacking.

Impossible on a live server.
In response to Jeff8500
Support for Windows binary format is supposed to be built-in to the operating system kernel. It's also supposed to support most POSIX-compatible programs. Imagine Wine being built-in to Linux.

Anyway, it's going to be far from perfect, but I imagine that they would get it right at some point!

There is another Windows clone that is supposed to be able to do this exact thing. I think their platform is a more stable copy of Windows. I forgot the name, however.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Impossible on a live server.

I'm afraid not. Telehacking, DLL injection and similar are all possible - You can even find a 2 hour lecture on how this works, along with the economic model of a gold farming business and how bots/3rd party WoW clients work.
I believe you're referring to ReactOS.
Page: 1 2 3 4