In response to SuperAntx
I would have banned him for needing to get a real life not for leveling to fast.
In response to Soldierman
Like you've never played a game for 13 hours after you got it.
In response to SuperAntx
He probably plays 13 hours everyday of his life not just when the expansion came out.
Once you're in a good guild with people who show up on time and don't jerk around during an instance run you actually end up playing less than "casual" players.
Soldierman wrote:
I would have banned him for needing to get a real life not for leveling to fast.

Please don't start that discussion here, its going to go on forever :/
In response to SuperAntx
Wow this is stupid. So he didn't get level 80 first, the fact anyone even cares is kind of sad. Plus from what I was reading, what the guy was doing, was considered a exploit to begin with. Don't get man when you get in trouble for doing something you shouldn't be. Just because 1 GM says it is OK, dosen't mean it actually is OK. GMs are people like everyone else and what one says, is going to differ from another.
In response to Trosh Kubyo
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
Wow this is stupid. So he didn't get level 80 first, the fact anyone even cares is kind of sad.

Well, you're a close-minded person!

Plus from what I was reading, what the guy was doing, was considered a exploit to begin with.

It's not.

Don't get man [sic] when you get in trouble for doing something you shouldn't be.

He didn't know he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing.

Just because 1 GM says it is OK, dosen't mean it actually is OK. GMs are people like everyone else and what one says, is going to differ from another.

You expect Blizzard GMs to actually know what they are talking about. They are supposed to be paid professionals. What one says regarding the rules of the game should never differ from what another says.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Yes it is a glitch, after doing more reading, it is a glitch that almost everyone in the World of Warcraft community knows about. I myself didn't know much about it because I haven't played in several months, and am not obsessed with the game enough to even bother to know these sorts of things.

Him and his group of friends in the party went into an instance and then he left the group and tagged all the mobs in the general area. He then allowes his team mates to fight the monsters. By doing this, he was allowed to collect 100% of the expirance from all of the monsters slain.

Further more, apperently the guy who was banned, made it a point to ask a GM they were hoping didn't know if the glitch was illegal or not. Its kind of like asking Mommy if you can sleep over at your friend's house, because you know Daddy will say no. Further more, he made sure to word his question very carefully to try and let the GM misenterpret what he was asking on purpose. They were purposely misleading the GM they were talking to an a attempt to cover their own butts when they got caught.

I am not a close minded person. I play World of Warcraft, and my girlfriend plays it religiously. But if she came into my computer room all pissed off because she was banned for doing something she shouldn't have to begin with, I'd tell her to get over it, it is a video game. To be honest the whole thing is a mess, and both sides are to blame. The best thing about this whole thing is, this guy might feel like he is entitled to some sort of compensation, but Blizzard owns your data and your characters, you really have no rights at all when in the World of Warcraft.
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
Yes it is a glitch trick

Notice the GM who banned him said "clever use of game mechanics" rather than calling it an exploit. People do it all the time. I have done it a few times. Everyone knows about the trick, Blizzard has never said don't do it, it's not an exploit.

If you look at the dude's experience bar you can see they banned him right before he hit 80. This guy was doing the exact same thing, only he was doing it with just one other person.

It's just really messed up to do something like that to a fan who's been playing your game for 13 hours straight.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
It's just really messed up to do something like that to a fan who's been playing your game for 13 hours straight.

Messed up? They did him a favor!
Sorry, couldn't help it. =P
Though seriously, they can do whatever they want in their game. Additionally it is quite natural for people to interpret things differently if they're not clear, so nothing to be surprised about if one GM doesn't mind but another considers it an offense, provided there isn't an official rule about it or as such.
In response to Kaioken
So you're saying it's perfectly fine for paid professional GM's to be no different than our very on Zeta GM's?
In response to Kaioken
Actually, they can't do whatever they want. Certain actions could cause legal repurcussions.
In response to SuperAntx
It is perfectly fine for people to have different stances about things, yes.
In response to Popisfizzy
Uh, within context. They can ban any player if they believe he made an "offense".
In response to Kaioken
So it's only an offense if they want to make it one? SAx said that it is something commonly done, and Blizzard is aware but have done nothing to stop it.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:

I don't find it acceptable for their paid staff to not know the rules they're enforcing.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Kaioken wrote:

I don't find it acceptable for their paid staff to not know the rules they're enforcing.

*sighs*
I didn't want to get into this discussion, but there goes another resolution.

If rules (and laws) would never leave room for interpretation, they could not cover everything we hope to prevent with them.
As a result though, people often are unclear about certain things. If that wouldn't be the case, we would not need lawyers and judges.

In response to SuperAntx
You failed to mention the other guy was doing it outside of an instance and the only other person helping him was a healer. If you know about the World of Warcraft game mechanics, you would know that the amount of damage done by a member of the team is one of the main deciding factors in how much experience a person is getting. Because of that, healing a player does not effect over all experience gained. There were key differences between what they were both doing.
Trosh Kubyo wrote:
If you know about the World of Warcraft game mechanics, you would know that the amount of damage done by a member of the team is one of the main deciding factors in how much experience a person is getting. Because of that, healing a player does not effect over all experience gained.

...Actually healers get just as much XP as tanks and damage dealers, it's the way they designed the game.

That's besides the point though. Both people were having friends help them kill critters while not grouped together. The only difference is Athene had more people helping him.
In response to SuperAntx
You know what your right about the damage and exp rates. Excuse me for that. But it isn't the only difference. The fact is, in most raids, when you disband a group, you automatically get sent back to a different zone, outside of the instance to avoid that sort of abuse. What Athene did was considered abusing a in game glitch. Granted Blizzard could have just avoided all of this to begin with and fixed the exploit to begin with, but they didn't. Regardless, both sides were wrong, one side, should have fixed the exploit, the other side, should have never done it to begin with.
Page: 1 2 3 4