ID:182201

I am planning on buying a Home Server, I am not sure if it good for what I need it for so... Can a Home Server Host Byond? If so How? and can it host Websites? If So How?
What exactly do you mean by a "home server?" A lower-end server grade computer meant for the computer-savvy home users? A service on the internet that hosts stuff for home users?

Whatever you mean, the answer is probably yes. I used to host Byond games on a 233Mhz CPU/40MB RAM, but obviously that would choke on anything resource-intensive. What type of game do you want to host? It's not something huge with lots of processor-intensive special effects, is it?

As for websites, you don't need much to host a website. At work, when our website went down, my boss actually hosted the college's website for part of a day on a PC not much better than the specs I just mentioned above, and nobody noticed.

Again, although I would say whatever you're looking at is probably more than sufficient for whatever you want, the final answer depends on what you are putting on it.
In response to Loduwijk
Well as a Home Server I mean like a tiny box which is at home. It is not a computer, it is like a external hardrive but it hosts stuff...
In response to YondaimeA
An External hardrive is just a tiny box with memory, nothing else... But I know what you are getting at and that box you speak of is actually a PC.

Haywire
No
In response to YondaimeA
YondaimeA wrote:
Well as a Home Server I mean like a tiny box which is at home. It is not a computer, it is like a external hardrive but it hosts stuff...

As Haywire said, that is still a computer. It's just not the same setup as the computers you are used to using. They still operate the same internally.

If it's new, it's probably fine for whatever you want. Even the cheapest new computers you can get for a few hundred dollars these days are plenty powerful to handle most Byond hosting and website hosting, and to do so at the same time at that, and then some.

If you're still concerned, post the specs on the server.
Regardless of your box (computer)'s specs, another relevant and highly important point is your internet connection speed. You need to have a very decent upload speed.
In response to Kaioken
Around What Speed? And Where Do I check I have this speed?
In response to YondaimeA
Speedtest.net is a good way to find out. It gives your upload and download speeds within a few minutes.
In response to YondaimeA
There are many sites for the purpose of checking your internet speed. While you're at it, remember Google can pretty much answer everything.

How much you need does vary on what you're hosting (in this case, BYOND) and how many connections (ie players) you expect to have at once. The more players you want to host at once, the more bandwidth you need to avoid lag. I wouldn't really know the exact numbers, but you'd need at least around 512kbits (64kBytes) per second upload bandwidth to have a decent amount of players. As for download, if your upload is fine you likely don't have to worry about it.
In response to YondaimeA
http://internetfrog.com can give you a reasonable test.

if you intend on hosting BYOND games for a dozen players or more, a minimum of 2 MegaBit down *and* up is a good start. (typical 2Mbit connections have 512Kbit upload speed.)

but bear in mind all the bandwidth in the world will not save you if the game is not developed well, or there happens to be a lot of net traffic in the house (as in someone else in the home downloading stuff), or on the local arm of your internet connection (like peak web-surfing hours for people in your town).
In response to YondaimeA
YondaimeA wrote:

Those are just a very stripped down Linux system with basic services like FTP, http, ssh, ssl certification and similar - While you may be able to hack them into doing more (and some have with various results), they are not in any way ideal.

If you just mean a normal computer, theres nothing stopping you from doing that if you have a stable, fast connection with a static IP. If not, look into hosting solutions as has been pointed out.