ID:182239

First of all I just recently got into pokemon after playing it for awhile when my friend let me borrow it for 5 minutes. I got addicted to Gen. 4

My favorite pokemon is Turtwig my favorite types are Water/Grass/Steel and obviously Turtwig is my favorite starter.

Pokemon Ideas:
Grass Starter Pokemon:

Pupleaf
Name Origin: Puppy + Leaf or Pup + leaf
Best Stat without manipulation: Sp. Att or SPD varies on gender
Type: Grass/Dark type
Evolutions: L18 Dograss, L32 Wolfig/Houndoak
Learnset:
*: Unevolved 1
**: Unevolved 2
Level Move
Start Pound/Scratch(Thinking about it)
Start Growl
7 Bullet Seed
9 Bite
9 Vine Whip
11 Leech Seed
11 Sleep Powder
G13 Quick Attack
16 Magical Leaf
17 Absorb
18 Razor Leaf
19* Seed Flare
22* Seed Bomb
23* Hydro Pump
19 Crunch
25 Thief
26 Poison Powder
30 Mega Drain
34 Giga Drain
36 Leaf Storm
41 Solar Beam

Gender Ratio:
Male:87.5
Female:12.5
Appearance:
It has a greenish fur and skin color and is based off of a wolf or dog it has a leaf on its head smilar to Chikorita and it grows as it becomes stronger and older and a mane of leaves around its neck and has a vine for a tail.

Appearance(Dograss):
The leaf on its head becomes much larger and my rigid and raggety than its baby version it is a more yellowish color.
It is larger and the tail sprouts shrubs or buds depending on the gender. The mane of leaves is thicker and each leaf is larger. It has small darker green stripes on its back (usually 3).

Overall its color is more yellowish or golden and its eyes are a little thinner.
Appearance(Houndoak/Wolfig):
The Leaf on its head stands straight up and it has darkish spots that fade into grey replacing the stripes it had. It's skin is more of a brownish color but still has an apperant green. The vine tail sprouts mushrooms or leaves (Male grows mushroom, female grows leaves) and the tail draggs on the ground.

Its teeth are much larger and kind of shark-like but thick at the same time. It looks more fierce but has the same loving attitude.

Fire Type Starter:
Sparkub
Name origin: Spark + Cub
Best Stat: Str,Def
Type: Fire,Ground
Evolutions: L18 TeddiFlame, L19 Geroblaze(Gero is Latin for Bear)
Learnset:
Level Move
Start Scratch
Start Growl
7 Ember
9 Howl
10 Fire Spin
10 Fire Wheel
11 Earthquake
12 Mud Slap
15 Dig
19* Magnitude
22 Earth Power
25 Flamethrower
29 Fire Punch or Kick(Random)
32 Flare Blitz
36 Sacred Fire
42 Crunch
49 Blast Burn

Appearance:
It is covered in flame colored hairs that are really just spiky hair with wierd outlines. They have black eyes and their fur color around the flame colored hairs is an orangish-yellow and its very small.

Overall It's attitude is naive and sheepish.

Appearance(TeddiFlame):
Its flames have been outnumbered by the regular hairs as it is more just its back that has this. It now has claws and its snout is longer with less bulgy eyes. It is larger like an actual bear cub but it has a long tail and some flames spark on its back.

Overall its attitude is more aggressive but friendly toward those that are kind to it.

Appearance(Geroblaze):
Its very large and its eyes are almost invisible covered by a large tuft of fur hanging from the upper forhead to the snout. Its flames on its back are no longer just smoulders and small sparks but gigantic blazes and its tail is short and its claws are longer and sharper(Sparkubs don't have claws) It obviously resembles a bear.

Water Type Starter:
LiqWing
Name Origin: Bird + Ice
Best Stat: Sp. Att
Type: Flying/Water type
Evolution: L18 Birdice, L36 Frostfowl
Learnset:
Level Move
Start Peck
Start Leer
7 Drill Peck
9 Bubble
11 Mist
13 Water Gun
17 Pluck
19 Fly
20 Hydro Pump
21 Whirlpool
24 Gust
25 Surf
29 Hydro Cannon
35 Tail Wind
39 Sky attack
42 Water Spout

Apperance:
It resembles a pidgeon or a qual has a tuft of feathers in its neck and dark spots all over. Its beak is small and its tail feathers are as well. Its wings aren't nearly powerful enough to fly.

It is always happy and if it isn't it seems to try to be cheerful.

Appearance(Birdice):
The tuft of fir on its neck is gone and the dark spots all over are gone as well. Its wings are just barely powerful enough to fly and its tail fathers are very long and droopy.
It has a new large feather on the top of its head and apperantly it helps with flight when it wants to slow down a little.

Appearance(Frostfowl):
The large feather on its head grows larger and two smaller ones accompany it as if it is a crown. Its wings are very long and its tail is kind of droopy and two long smaller ones stick out from the midst of the tail feathers.

Oooh.... Cant wait for the Gen 5 Pokemon! >_< <3 <3 <3
Choka wrote:
My favorite pokemon is Turtwig my favorite types are Water/Grass/Steel and obviously Turtwig is my favorite starter.

My favorite pokemon is Mew my favorite types are Psychic/Electric/Water and obviously Squirtle is my favorite starter.

Er, and I really wish they'd have stopped after generation 1, or at least generation 2. Seriously. :S

Pupleaf

Seriously? Augh.
In response to Kuraudo
Ungh, no.

Gen 1 was just horribly broken. Because Special was special attack and defence, it was the only type of attack that mattered, and psychics were broken as all hell, because:
1 - They all had good Special stats.
2 - They only had two weaknesses - bug and ghost. There was a grand total of /one/ ghost move in the game that didn't have set damage - Lick. If you used this power-40 move on a Psychic, you would discover that due to a mistake, ghost attacks were ineffective against psychics. As for the bug type... there weren't any good bug pokemon, or good bug attacks, and bugs were weak to psychic moves.
3 - No type in RBY resisted psychic moves, no type was immune to them.

In short, gen 1 had no real competitive battling scene. It was all "Whose Mewtwo is better?", or "Whose Alakazam is better?" if you banned Mewtwo.

Gen 2 fixed things - nearly every change they made in that shift was to make psychics less powerful:
1 - The special-attack special-defence split made physical attacks worthwhile again.
2 - The addition of the Dark and Steel types added pokemon that are immune to and resist psychic attacks, respectively.
3 - Ghost moves are now properly super-effective on psychics, and they added some useful ghost moves - like Shadow Ball.
4 - They added some useful bug pokemon - Scizor and Heracross, for example.

Unfortunately, gen-2 still had serious issues. The most obvious of which is that a serious battle could quite easily go on for over a hundred rounds. Stalling was just a better strategy then attacking - the game was painfully slow.

Gen 3 changed that dynamic, and gen 4 has changed it more. Battles are now much faster (about twenty rounds at most, unless someone is really trying hard to stall), and the balance is further to the "attacking" side. It's much more interesting that way.

That, and generation 3 and 4 added some interesting pokemon.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
That, and generation 3 and 4 added some interesting pokemon.

Your whole argument up to this point was almost entirely based on the dynamics of generation 1&2 Pokémon games. I was talking about generation 1&2 Pokémon. They should have stopped at 151, or even 251... the Pokémon set as a whole, I feel, is becoming overly bloated. If the modern games for the DS and such still only contained the first 251 Pokémon (and if I actually had a DS), I'd probably buy and enjoy the games all the more. There are other ways to make the games more interesting than to increase the number of rodents you can use (simply changing gameplay features---like the 2-on-2 idea and other battle mechanics, adding new techniques, and so on would all work, and the same 251 could remain in place).
In response to Kuraudo
The first few points explain why limiting it to the pokemon in the first game (151) is unworkable - without steel and dark, psychic pokemon are just insanely powerful. The game just isn't fun without the GSC pokemon at absolute minimum.

Believe it or not, the Advance gen and DP brought new and interesting pokemon to the table, that did not previously exist. Spiritomb and Sableye for example, are gen 4 and 3 pokemon respectively. They are unique in that both of them have no weaknesses.

Slaking is a 3rd generation pokemon with some interesting dynamics - its ability (A 3rd-gen enhancement to the game) causes it to waste every second turn.

Garchomp is a 4th generation pokemon that has almost completely changed the metagame, because it's fast, has ridiculous attack, and gets STAB for Earthquake.

Metagross, Salamence, Milotic, Castform, Absol... and that's only in the OU tier. If you start getting into ubers, Kyogre completely changed the nature of the game.

Basically, the 3rd and 4th generations have significantly shifted the metagame away from the stall-battles of GSC. That's because they added new pokemon, several of which are highly effective sweepers. If it wasn't for the Advance gen, we'd still be playing with Forretres, parafusion, and beating people by running them out of PP. I'm quite glad of the change.

And as you've identified, the new game mechanics have certainly helped - Advance gen added EVs, natures, abilities, and double battles, and DP has the physical move /special move split being based on the move, not the type, which has made some pokemon actually potentially useful (Arcanine, Flareon, Rapidash), and made others more powerful (Weavile, Charizard)
In response to Jp
I'm confused by some seemingly contradicting ideas.

Jp wrote:
without steel and dark, psychic pokemon are just insanely powerful.

You start by complaining about "insanely" powerful Pokémon...

Spiritomb and Sableye for example, are gen 4 and 3 pokemon respectively. They are unique in that both of them have no weaknesses.

Garchomp is a 4th generation pokemon that has almost completely changed the metagame, because it's fast, has ridiculous attack, and gets STAB for Earthquake.

If you start getting into ubers, Kyogre completely changed the nature of the game.

Then you start talking about some seemingly "insanely" powerful Pokémon that have been introduced. Are you for balanced sheets or tiers? It seems like the argument shifted from complaining lack of balance (Mewtwo and Alakazam are powerful) to praising it (Garchomp is fast, powerful, etc.). Oh, and I read "Spiritomb" as "Spirit bomb" like 3 times in a row and thought of DBZ. Haha.

Slaking is a 3rd generation pokemon with some interesting dynamics - its ability (A 3rd-gen enhancement to the game) causes it to waste every second turn.

They didn't need to add new Pokémon for this; Slowking or Snorlax could have done it from the Gen 1 roster.
In response to Kuraudo
I'm not sure you quite understand how much psychics dominated the first gen, and tiers aren't quite the same thing.

Garchomp is, yes, quite a good pokemon - but you can quite easily win a battle without it, and really, it's quite frail for an OU pokemon. It's good, it's interesting, it's changed the metagame (By adding yet another good pokemon with a 4x ice weakness and making ground, rock, and dragon that bit more common, etc. etc.), but it doesn't dominate. You don't need it to win. I don't have one in my standard team, for example, and I do pretty well.

As for tiers, that's a matter of not over-centralising the metagame, yes - if there weren't any tiers, everybody would use Kyogre, Mewtwo, Arceus, Darkrai, etc., and that's about it. But look at that list of pokemon I just mentioned - there's a water pokemon, a psychic, a normal (Or whatever the hell you want it to be, really), and a dark. That's somewhat less centralised than "Mewtwo, Alakazam, everything else can go home". And in the OU tier there's more variation still. There's always going to be good pokemon and bad pokemon, and probably always going to be more bad then good. The measure of the balance of the generation is how much diversity the metagame can sustain - how many clever little niche tactics can survive and thrive. And I can guarantee you that by that measure, the fourth generation outshines any of the preceding, partially because of new pokemon. A team I intend to set up soon depends entirely on Electivire. If there wasn't an Electivire-like pokemon in the game, it couldn't exist and function. And until DP, there wasn't an Electivire-like pokemon - Electabuzz just didn't have the raw stats, and no other pokemon has both high attack, reasonable speed, and a justification for the ability Motor Drive.

Slowking and Snorlax aren't Slaking. At least, not without changing their stats. There's no other pokemon that can feasibly 'fill in' for Slaking. Snorlax has a substantially different moveset, and more seriously, much less attack, defence, special attack, and speed. It also has more special defence. Slowking is just the wrong type, in addition to having completely different base stats.

Many of the pokemon that have been added in the gen shifts are unique. You can't really use other pokemon in the same way as them. Some of them have even spawned entirely new strategies. Ninjask, for example, changed the dynamics of things a bit, once it got Focus Sash.
In response to Jp
Uhh... guys? Gals? This topic is to discuss THIS game, not the other games... rest assured, Choka has done a lot of work on this game.

We all know this stuff, me, I was the first person to ever own/beat the first Pokemon Yellow. I guess you could say I became the secret pokemon master of Yellow. (I never really did anything about it at the time because, I didnt care much after beating the game, and my schoolmates were using the usual "Oh, pokemon is SOOO GAY, whoever plays that is GAY, theyre homo's... etc etc" So I never really felt the need to show off my Level 100 Mewtwo...

Rest assured though, that THIS game WILL be worthwile. No corners have been cut. You'll be allowed all modes of transportation between the regions. By sea/air/train/land/teleport. Also, Choka mentioned something to me about a way to get through those tough spots with all the wild pokemon... Im keeping it a secret for now so you'll see in the game, but it will be awesome... and it oughta keep Bush happy too. :D

Well, I gotta get back to work, I have printed off Guides to read, and NPC's to practice coding, along with some Iconing for the battles and world. Sayonara!
In response to Jp
It should be of note that part of the reason psychics dominated the first game was because of a programming error.