ID:182347

I've seen a couple of good ideas pop up on the internet about 'Twitch combat based' online RPGs. Now for those of who don't know what 'Twitch' is, it's a theory of improving gameplay by basing it off of reflexes, timing, and thought. Pretty much based off players skill and not your characters skills. Now I'm wondering, with a more interactive MMORPG, what ideas could you put in the game? I would love to see a MMORPG that feels like Ninja Gaiden II or even Oblivion. What games could be made into 'Twitch' MMORPGs without ruining gameplay?
Haha, you guys are probably going to hate me for this. But I think WoW would be perfect for a TC Battle System.
I'm not a big fan of WoW, but have played it in the past.

TC sounds kinda neat.
I've never gotten too much into Oblivion to notice it's battle system. :/
Certain professions in Guild Wars have twitch elements to them, such as professions that need to interrupt spells/skills. This is mainly because you have 1/4 second interrupt skills, that you are usually trying on other people's 1-2 second skills.
ShadowBane is pretty twitch based, and free at that. The difference between good players and bad is staggering at best - A bad player will lose to a good player 10 levels below him who has worse gear. Probably some of the better PvP (if not the best) I've participated in.
In response to Fuzed
Fuzed wrote:
Haha, you guys are probably going to hate me for this. But I think WoW would be perfect for a TC Battle System.
I'm not a big fan of WoW, but have played it in the past.

Seconded. WoW actually has a pretty solid twitch combat system. Pity it's let down by the horrible grindfest.
In response to Fartmonger
...WoW does not have a twitch-based combat system.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:

True, WoW has a combat timing to Neverwinter Nights IIRC (a certain amount of actions per round per character or something).

George Gough
Jumpgate Evolution
DDO (Light Twitch Based Gameplay)
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:

I disagree. Many of the skills silence, spell reflect, mass dispel ( I only know priest spells :P) require reflexes. Many of the raid bosses require you to dodge spell effects and pop the right ability at the right time (quite often you'll have less than 3 seconds to make your decision).
Thankfully, I've never played WoW, but I couldn't help thinking: "Whoa, less than 3 seconds? zomg! Do you mean, like, whole 2 seconds, for instance? Man, now that requires some honed reflexes to push a button!". =P
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Thankfully, I've never played WoW, but I couldn't help thinking: "Whoa, less than 3 seconds? zomg! Do you mean, like, whole 2 seconds, for instance? Man, now that requires some honed reflexes to push a button!". =P

Well in most PVP situations it'll be more like 1.5 seconds with haste. And it's more than just 'pushing a button'. You character has like 20 different abilities and using the wrong ones at the wrong time will get your ass killed. You also may be fighting more than one enemy etc. etc.

I don't like this 'Thankfully I've never played...' attitude. I don't play WoW any more because of the grind mechanics. But the combat system is actually one of the best I've seen in an Online RPG. You shouldn't judge something you've never played before.
Fartmonger wrote:
I disagree. Many of the skills silence, spell reflect, mass dispel ( I only know priest spells :P) require reflexes. Many of the raid bosses require you to dodge spell effects and pop the right ability at the right time (quite often you'll have less than 3 seconds to make your decision).

I'll have to go with Popisfizzy on this one. I've done all raid content in WoW short of the very last boss in the very last instance, and have been playing the game since Beta. I've also done arena teams of 2vs2, 3vs3 and 5vs5 and lots of battlegrounds.

It has never been and will never be a twitch-based game. The only thing remotely close to twitch-based is rogues in 1 vs 1. Mostly, even in PvP, people are just spamming buttons or waiting for an action - Spamming a button isn't twitch based gameplay, at least not IMO.

Try subspace.

In response to Alathon
Wow doesn't have a twitch based system. You need reflexes some yes, but not the twitch gameplay. Twitch requires you to watch an opponent, use a skill to counter/dodge his move and be ready for his counter/dodge.

I'll have to check out some of the games you've been suggesting. Subspace and Jumpgate spark intrest.
That still doesn't count as Twitch Combat.

Twitch games are games along the lines of Counter-Strike and Street Fighter. WoW comes nowhere near the pacing of these games.
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
ShadowBane is pretty twitch based, and free at that.

free for 15-days unfortunately! http://shadowbane.com/us/FreeTrial.php

and in the small print i see: 'Please note that you will be asked for a valid credit card to participate in the trial, however you will not be charged unless you choose to subscribe at the end of your 15 Day Free Trial.'
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Alathon wrote:

and in the small print i see: 'Please note that you will be asked for a valid credit card to participate in the trial, however you will not be charged unless you choose to subscribe at the end of your 15 Day Free Trial.'

Nope, that info is incorrect. The game is 100% free. You create an account and it is automatically updated to a lifetime subscription.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Alathon wrote:

I think that might be a remnant of their old system. They changed to free play when they re-vamped the game IIRC. There was even a post on this forum about the game.

George Gough