ID:1823809

Resolved
When Dream Seeker was used to run a game directly, some internal messages were not received properly (regression in 507.1280). This was especially evident when changing world.tick_lag or fps at runtime, and when outputting messages to world.
BYOND Version:507.1280
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 41.0.2272.118
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I apologize for the lack of insight as to the cause, but since installing 507.1280, I am uanble to run I Made A Dungeon! in Dream Seeker. The screen renders/updates at a very low, very jerky rate. The game seems to be overtaken by lag spikes, but world.cpu is remaining at 0 and profiling shows nothing using up noticeable processor time, hence why I believe this is a rendering problem.

Additionally, the problem seems to disappear when I host in Dream Daemon and connect locally. I'd say there's a little bit of un-smoothness in rendering compared to what I got in DS before updating, but I couldn't swear to it.

I tried rebooting, clearing BYOND's cache, and uninstalling and reinstalling BYOND, without result. Rolling back to 507.1279 fixes the problem immediately. While IMAD was designed to test the limits of BYOND and my own hardware, the problem is constant no matter the map size used, though it is not present in other games I run.

I tried making a dummy project that reproduces some of the factors present in IMAD (client.perspective = eye_pespective, heavy use of the color var, the presence of screen objects that are removed without being deleted) in order to isolate the cause, but was unable to reproduce the bug deliberately in the second project.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Danged if I know.

Expected Results:

Game would run the same after updating.

Actual Results:

Game only runs well in Dream Daemon.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?

Every time the game runs in DS.

In other games?

No.

In other user accounts?

No.

On other computers?

Yes, so far, though I don't have access to a computer not running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Only when the game runs in Dream Daemon.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

It works fine in 507.1279

Workarounds:

So far, just rolling back.
Not a whole lot changed in Dream Seeker or Dream Daemon that would account for this. In fact, DS and the server-to-client communication for it weren't really touched. So something seems very strange here.

About the only relevant change is that 507.1280 is meant to be a non-beta release, and it was compiled in the older compiler--which shouldn't really make a difference here, especially as you're not seeing similar issues when connecting remotely, and world.cpu isn't spiking. (Also bizarre: Why would a rendering problem manifest in DS when hosting but not when playing remotely, even if the connection is strictly local?)

Do you have the project handy where I could try to take a look at it? If it's just the hosting files that's probably okay. (You can always send me a link privately.)

[edit]
I should also ask: What is Task Manager reporting in these various cases? When you have DS and DD separate, what does the usage look like? What about together?
I know, from a troubleshooting point of view it is such a weird problem. I just can't imagine what happened, which is why I spent a lot of time exhausting the obvious must-be-wrong-on-my-end things.

I'd assume 507.1279 was also compiled in the old compiler and it works fine there.

I'm not in a position where I can upload the files, but I am totally fine sending you them.
Actually both builds were compiled in the newer compiler.
I also have same issue with the new build aftar 30min+ of gameplay it starts to stutter and FPS drops from 40 to 30 to 20 Only fix I found its to close down my client and re open it. On server side everything is fine no CPU spikes or anything like that.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When Dream Seeker was used to run a game directly, some internal messages were not received properly (regression in 507.1280). This was especially evident when changing world.tick_lag or fps at runtime, and when outputting messages to world.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that would explain why it happened with IMAD and not other projects. I started with FPS throttled low to allow more iterations to complete in a tick and then increased it. None of the test projects where I tried to isolate the cause included that.

I'm so glad this got pinned down.
yep I just downloaded the stable version and used that to play the game it seems the problem is gone, anyways does this mean the issue is fixed now Lummox? For the Beta version.
"Resolved (507.1281)" means it's fixed as of that build, so whenever that's released.
Ah okay awesome :), btw Hedgemis did you check my PM?
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Outputting something to the world appears to no longer work in 507.1280.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Attempt to output something to the world object.
2. Nothing happens.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

mob/Login()
..()
world << "Hello, world!" // Doesn't show up.
src << "Hello, [src.name]!" // This one does!

Expected Results:
Hello, world!
Hello, LordAndrew!

Actual Results:
Hello, LordAndrew!

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Untested.
In other user accounts? Untested.
On other computers? Untested.

When does the problem NOT occur?
It always seems to occur.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I tested this on 507.1279 and it was working there.

Workarounds:
Output to a different target (src, etc) or downgrade.
In response to LordAndrew
Does this only happen when running in Dream Seeker as both server and client? That is, if you run in DD and connect to it, does the problem disappear?

If this only happens when running the server in DS, then it's a duplicate of id:1823809.
In response to LordAndrew
Checked it. LA's bug report is correct in that it doesn't work when playing singleplayer in DS.

However, outputting to world works just fine when running from DreamDaemon (DreamSeeker and Webclient both work).

edit: running portable (zip) download of 507.1280
In response to Mr_Goober
Good to know. I'm marking this as a duplicate then.