ID:1824202

(See the best response by Ssj4justdale.)
Problem description:
I'm trying to sort out the best method for outlining text onscreen, I basically want to give all text a white or black outline around the letters so that it is more easily viewable.

Any ideas how I might go about this? I'm using objects, which are written onto an overlay- then displayed on top of a screen object.

Ideally, I'd rather just take the font i'm using and apply the outline to produce a new file,but I'd also like to know how to do this on the fly as well.
Best response
I don't know the best method but a method I use is adding 4 extra instances to the object positioned top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right. The standard font/text will be in the center.

You would obviously want the standard font/text to have a higher layer than the background/outline for the text. The offset of the background text will create the "outline" effect.

I use a similar method in some projects I work on.
I wonder how efficient that would be in an online-hosted game with many connections and events going on.

I currently use a method I've been working on for a while which involves a screen_obj grid (not the interface grid).