In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Strawgate wrote:
Did you know, with Hitlers war machine, the first computers were actually used to encrypt secret messages which took modern computers many years to be able to mimic?

I knew that somone would do that once Godwin's law was brought up.

George Gough

Western europe knew what Hitler was planning, but that didnt stop them from getting owned.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
Moleboy wrote:
I'm on a Pentium 4 right now compiling at speeds of upto 30 seconds T_T

I'm just sick of these long compile times...

30 seconds is a long time?

I hate when people complain about 30 second to two minute compile times.

The amount of compile time does not usually determine the quality of the source code (though it may be). Different things affect the compile times such as many maps, templates (not in DM but an example), many lines of code, and possibly using goto (I don't know about this but I think that it might).

If you think that the compile times are long using Byond, try making a project of the same size in C++ (1000+ lines) and have to wait 5+ minutes for a single compile.

Or we could go back to punch-cards and wait a whole night for simple programs.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Or we could go back to punch-cards and wait a whole night for simple programs.

We would have a lot less viruses....
Probably 42

~Kujila
In response to KodeNerd
Even worse, try compiling a project that includes files from all over your hard-drive, networked drives, etc., and not just the central folder. I've got one that uses Ogre3D as an engine, Lua as a scripting language, a custom library I made for handling a 3d model format I wrote, another library that I wrote for handling a new method of terrain storage, etc, an XML-based GUI library, and a voxel scene destructor library. All of these are coming from different parts of my hard drive, and some from a networked drive as well as some from a shared folder on my desktop when I program on my laptop.

Watch your compile times soar to 20+ minutes and cry.

Or even worse, try compiling a 32,000x32,000x16,000 unit map in hammer that utilizes somewhere around 15,000 brushes, and about a hundred textures, and 500+ entities with custom models.

Cry over your 48-hour map compilation.
In response to Ter13
Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a compile farm.
In response to Ter13
Just sword fight while you are waiting.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
In response to Hazman
Arg, you left out the alt-tag! It's not xkcd without the alt-tags!
In response to PirateHead
It gives me a reason to drink... Why would I want to get rid of my excuse to have a few?
Page: 1 2