ID:182769

A few days ago my Windows stopped booting due to what's probably a bad spot on my hard drive. I've reformatted it and it's running again, but I don't know if bad things will happen in the future :( any time I tried scanning for a bad spot, like in the Windows setup, it dies doing whatever it does at 75%. Is there anything I can do to prevent the thing from dying without buying a new hard drive? It's not a very big hard drive, it's just that the computer is old enough for me to want the whole thing replaced if I have to replace any of it at all
When scanning your HD, sometimes it can take awhile. I had my old PC sit at 78% for almost 20 mins before it finally moved on to the better 79%
A well known trick to fix bad spots on harddrives is to use your thumb and index finger. Locate the spot, then squeeze it until it bursts. It'll be a bit sore for a few days and maybe even bleed a bit, but from then on it'll be good.
In response to Baladin
Well it zooms to 25% where it slows down until 50%, zooms to 75% where it sticks, and then after about 5-10 minutes it blue-screens me and dies, so there is something wrong :O
In response to Cowdude
Does it blue screen doing anything else heavy on CPU utilization?
It's either your hard disk dying or another part of your computer overheating and the disk check is making your PC hotter, causing an error and rebooting due to that error.
In response to Cowdude
Another suggestion I have read is freezing the HD and then trying it. I guess it works. :/
In response to Baladin
That does not sound healthy at all o_o