ID:183092

Well just finished the book C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner. Overall it was a great read and very easy to understand (most of the time). When it came time to explain things like templates, streams, exceptions, etc... I felt like it was being rushed, the author used things in examples he hadn't properly explained. I had to look elsewhere to find out what the author was talking about. Eventually I came to a point where I was just copying the code from the book and not learning anything. His code wasn't well commented or explained. By the time I got to the programming with Windows, and DirectX chapters, I felt like it was EXTREMELY rushed. The book also seemed to be out of date with some of the things it was trying to teach. =/

I'm basically looking for a book that will better explain C++. So what books would you recommend? One thing I liked about this book was the examples and things you made were actual "games" or game functions, like creating a shop. So if there's any other books like that please tell me about them.

I was looking at this book:
Beginning Game Programming - But after reading a few reviews it seems like the author also rushes things and doesn't properly explain whats going on.

Thank you!

-Dession
C++ For Dummies 5th Edition

Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours

Ultimate Game Programming with DirectX

C++ How to Program (5th Edition) (How to Program)

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (5th Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself)

Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition

Game Programming In C++: Start To Finish (Game Development Series)

Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX (Game Development Series)

Real-Time Strategy Game Programming Using MS Directx 6.0 (Wordware Game Developer's Library)

That's all the books I have, but also, all you really need is your local friend Google to find online resources to help you learn C++. MSDN Documentation is also a good place to learn it as well.
In response to FrostByteGames
FrostByteGames wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that.IIRC those books are for people that have never done anything in C++ yet (I assume you have).

Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours

I heard good things about this.

Ultimate Game Programming with DirectX

I would wait to do graphical programming as it can be quite confusing if you are not truly ready.

C++ How to Program (5th Edition) (How to Program)

I think I have the 3rd edition

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (5th Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself)

Heard good things.

Beginning C ++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition

Never read it before. I would still wait to do graphical programming (if it has any).

Game Programming In C++: Start To Finish (Game Development Series)

I never read that...I'll have to check that out.

Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX (Game Development Series)

I would not do that yet...if he is just starting I would wait as, what I said, it could be confusing if you truly don't understand what is going on.

Real-Time Strategy Game Programming Using MS Directx 6.0 (Wordware Game Developer's Library)

Same thing here as I said a few lines ago.
In response to Shlaklava
Yeah I'm going to hold off on those books you pointed out, they seem a little advanced. But once I get more proficient with C++ I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks for all the suggestions!
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:
Yeah I'm going to hold off on those books you pointed out, they seem a little advanced. But once I get more proficient with C++ I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well, you're welcome. Sorry, I don't like to suggest anything I haven't read or used myself.
In response to Shlaklava

Same thing here as I said a few lines ago.

This book is actually extremely easy to understand, assuming you have a reference with you when reading it. I managed to create nifty stuff just from reading this book and "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days".
In response to DivineO'peanut
there is also Bruce Eckels (spelling may be off), "Thinking in..." series (such as "Thinking in C/C++"). i forget if it was geared towards more advanced readers or not, but might be worth a look-see. if i recall he had free downloads from his site for the C, C++, and Java books.
You'll want to learn C++ itself before you get into making games and Windows programming. My personal favorite book---which I highly recommend---is C++ How to Program, 5th edition (A newer 6th edition is available; it is probably better, but as I haven't read it I can't personally recommend it: Amazon link).

When you want to learn to make programs in Windows (your ordinary applications), you'll want to read Programming Windows, Fifth Edition, followed by Programming Applications for Microsoft Windows, which has a fifth edition on the way this December under the title Windows via C/C++ (a title I am currently excited for).

Once you have a solid foundation, you could probably start branching into things such as 3D and games programming. You'll probably want to read up on DirectX and OpenGL and decide where you want to go, and get a book that focuses on 3D algorithms (assuming you want to program 3D games), as well as a general book on algorithms (you'd be amazed at how helpful the knowledge of binary searches, hash maps, etc. can be). Of course, there are game programming books that could be helpful; my personal favorite series in this category is the Game Programming Gems series, which currently consists of 6 books and a seventh that is coming in December.

Hiead
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:
FrostByteGames wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that.IIRC those books are for people that have never done anything in C++ yet (I assume you have).

Covering the absolute basics is never a bad thing. Revision is the corner stone of remembrance.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Shlaklava wrote:
FrostByteGames wrote:

Covering the absolute basics is never a bad thing. Revision is the corner stone of remembrance.

Last time I did read those, however, the author left out a lot of essential things such as (even a small) section on templates/STL*. I am not saying it would not be a good idea to review I am just saying that it may not be the best book for the job, as he read something that also does advertise for the absolute beginner.

What you said could be one of those "famous quotes" in my school passbook...unless you took that from someone..

<small>*
I have not been able to read anything made recently due to a lack of funds so a correction could be in order here on the newer editions.
*</small>

George Gough
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:
What you said could be one of those "famous quotes" in my school passbook...unless you took that from someone..

I never read it from anywhere. I was trying to be philosophical on my own. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was said elseware. Most of the great philosophies have already been taken. =(
I would suggest the "In Easy Steps" series. "C++ Programming in Easy Steps" is an excellent read. It is short, but it still adequately covers the material. As long as you are programming-oriented it should be more than sufficient.

I also have two suggestions of books for you to stay away from. "Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes" is junk (I haven't read the others though, so I cannot comment on them, such as the 'Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours' one.), and the "C Primer Plus" is equally bad. The former is poorly written and, if I remember correctly, even had logical errors and explained things wrong; the latter had lots of typos, even in the code examples.
I saw your topic and I looked this up. It comes with a lot of stuff too.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/ productCd-0764568523.html
In response to Jman9901
Jman9901 wrote:
I saw your topic and I looked this up. It comes with a lot of stuff too.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/ productCd-0764568523.html

I guess the 5th edition does have the STL. I still would not use it if you have already read another beginners book. But that is your preference.

Just remember to review!

George Gough
In response to Loduwijk
I generally stray away from the "Sam's Teach Yourself" series; I have read both of "Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours" and "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days," and both failed to show me that either were worth the read. I still strongly encourage people to read C++ How to Program, 5th edition, if not the 6th edition that I haven't yet read, since I think it is the best book I have found from C++ foundation upwards. I think the Deitels (Harvey and Paul) are some of the better writers in the field of teaching programming languages.

Hiead