ID:183138

So it turns out I can't play anything in The Orange Box since my current video card isn't compatible with Directx 8.0+ (my current card is an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000).

What's a cheap card I can upgrade to that works with at least Directx 8 and is good for gaming that my computer can handle? On that note, what about my computer do I need to know in order to know what video cards it can handle?
GF4 can't handle dx9 ?..
My old computer with VIA chip was able to handle it -.- and that comp is 7-8 yearz old
You need to know whether or not it has an AGP slot or a PCI-E slot (or neither, in which case you'll need a PCI graphics card).
In response to Ripiz
GF4 MX is a glorified GF2. You need at least a geforce 4 to play that game, but it'll run slowly.

I recommend something in the geforce 7xxx series.
In response to Jerico2day
When I realised SupCom actually refused to play on a PC with anything less than a 6200, I went out and bought the most expensive card for under £100, which turned out to be a 7600GT. 'tis most excellent.
In response to Hazman
SupCom is a b****. It's an awesome game, but it's extraordinarily resource demanding. I mean... after 30 minutes or so, when there are 500 to 1000 units on the map, the game slows down on my computer to ~10 FPS. >_>
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Same here. I've actually given up on it and sold it, reasoning that unless I spend another £300 or £400 on my PC (which I don't want to do, seeing as I may just put together a new PC with a PCI-E slot for that kind of cash) I can't really play it.
Wierdly, it would ocassionally lock up but still allow me to move the camera, as though it were paused. But it wasn't paused. I suppose the gameplay and graphics engines are seperate enough in SupCom for that sort of thing to happen.
In response to Hazman
I've done a bit of research on Supcom and its very demanding entirely CPU demanding really strange even thought a game with that many units on the map will use a lot of ram but it doesn't.

There is an expansion on the way which should fix the CPU problems you should check it out.